Connect Laser Pointer to PC Wirelessly: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the laser pointer will be equipped with a bluetooth transmitter which will send a signal to the PC's webcam once the laser pointer is activated. As I am not good in programming or software writing and stuff, i was wondering if anyone could provide help on how I can solve this laser pointer to PC communication problem as I have not a single idea on how i can link them up at the moment. Thanks.
ragefire
Hi all, i am doing a project to make a laser pointer that can connect to the PC wirelessly. Here's how it works.
-using the modified laser pointer, shine it on the screen from anywhere in the room and the dots/lines will remain on the screen until the user changes slide.

Background: once the laser pointer is switched on, the webcam from the PC will begin recording all the traces of the laser shone on the screen. All these detected traces will then be projected back on the screen.

Question: I already have the laser pointer done up but the problem i am facing now is how do I link it up with the PC wirelessly. As mentioned, the laser pointer will be equipped with a bluetooth transmitter which will send a signal to the PC's webcam once the laser pointer is activated. As I am not good in programming or software writing and stuff, i was wondering if anyone could provide help on how I can solve this laser pointer to PC communication problem as I have not a single idea on how i can link them up at the moment. Thanks.

*I really do hope there are programmable bluetooth adapters in the market which also provides step by step software compilers to aid in my task*

Engineering news on Phys.org
ragefire said:
Hi all, i am doing a project to make a laser pointer that can connect to the PC wirelessly. Here's how it works.
-using the modified laser pointer, shine it on the screen from anywhere in the room and the dots/lines will remain on the screen until the user changes slide.

Background: once the laser pointer is switched on, the webcam from the PC will begin recording all the traces of the laser shone on the screen. All these detected traces will then be projected back on the screen.

Question: I already have the laser pointer done up but the problem i am facing now is how do I link it up with the PC wirelessly. As mentioned, the laser pointer will be equipped with a bluetooth transmitter which will send a signal to the PC's webcam once the laser pointer is activated. As I am not good in programming or software writing and stuff, i was wondering if anyone could provide help on how I can solve this laser pointer to PC communication problem as I have not a single idea on how i can link them up at the moment. Thanks.

*I really do hope there are programmable bluetooth adapters in the market which also provides step by step software compilers to aid in my task*

Instead of bluetooth, maybe check out the Wireless USB resources from Cypress Semiconductor. That may be an easier way to go.

hey, thanks alot. I've visited the site and found many useful hardwares which i can consider as an alternative. thanks once again =)

1. How do I connect a laser pointer to my PC wirelessly?

To connect a laser pointer to your PC wirelessly, you will need a wireless USB adapter and a compatible wireless laser pointer. Plug the USB adapter into your computer's USB port and turn on the laser pointer. Then, press the button on the USB adapter and the button on the laser pointer simultaneously to pair them. Once paired, the laser pointer should work wirelessly with your PC.

2. What type of wireless technology is used to connect the laser pointer to the PC?

The most common wireless technology used to connect a laser pointer to a PC is Bluetooth. However, some laser pointers may use proprietary wireless technology, so it is important to check the specifications of your specific laser pointer to determine the type of wireless technology used.

3. Can I use any type of laser pointer to connect to my PC wirelessly?

No, not all laser pointers are compatible with wireless connectivity. Make sure to check the specifications of your laser pointer to ensure it has wireless capabilities before attempting to connect it to your PC wirelessly.

4. Is there a limit to the distance between the laser pointer and the PC when using wireless connectivity?

The range of wireless connectivity between the laser pointer and the PC will depend on the type of wireless technology used. Bluetooth typically has a range of up to 30 feet, while proprietary wireless technology may have a longer range. It is important to check the specifications of your specific laser pointer for its wireless range.

5. Can I connect multiple laser pointers to one PC wirelessly?

Yes, if your PC has multiple USB ports and the laser pointers use the same type of wireless technology, you can connect multiple laser pointers to one PC wirelessly. However, only one laser pointer can be used at a time, as they will share the same wireless connection.