Why is the Electromagnetic Field Tensor in the QED Lagrangian?

In summary, the QED Lagrangian contains three terms: the free Dirac field Lagrangian, the free EM field Lagrangian, and an interaction term. Without the middle term, the Lagrangian would not be dynamically closed and there would be no differential equation for the behavior of the EM field. The QED Lagrangian is a minimal extension of the Dirac and EM fields, adding only their interaction and quantization.
evac-q8r
The QED Lagrangian is given by [tex]\mathcal{L}_{\hbox{QED}} = \bar{\psi}(i\partial - m)\psi
- \frac{1}{4}(F_{\mu\nu})^2 - e\bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu\psi A_\mu[/tex]

What is the purpose of the middle term. I know that it represents the energy of the E and B fields. However is that due to the external potential A? I am used to thinking about Lagrangians in terms as equal to the kinetic term minus the potential, T-V. This term doesn't seem to be either and nor does the final interaction term. I didn't put the slash in the partial derivative because I didn't know how to. I understand that it is really a sum of three separate Lagrangians, that is, [tex]\mathcal{L}_{\hbox{QED}} = \mathcal{L}_{\hbox{Dirac}} + \mathcal{L}_{\hbox{Maxwell}} + \mathcal{L}_{\hbox{int}}.[/tex] What does the middle term represent or what does it do for us?

Thanks a Million.

-EVAC

Physics news on Phys.org
Evac,

I deleted your other thread, because it is basically the same as this one. If you want to modify your posts, use the Edit feature--no need to start another thread.

Anyway, here was my response from the other thread.

Without that term the QED Lagrangian would not be dynamically closed. That is, the photon field would be an external field that interacts with the matter fields. So we include the EM "kinetic energy". The only way to do it that is both Lorentz covariant and gauge invariant is to introduce a massless term that is quadratic in the EM field strength tensor.

The middle term is the Lagrangian for the free EM field. By itself, the resulting Euler-Lagrange equations would give the free EM field dynamics. Just like the first term is the free Dirac field Lagrangian. Alone those two terms describe the two systems that are being allowed to interact via the third term. With one or the other of the first terms missing, you know longer have two interacting fields.

The free field EM term contains the first-derivatives of the A potential. Without it there is no dynamical information about the behavior of the EM field. That is, there is no differential equation to be satisfield by A. I haven't checked, but the A field would probably either be trivial or arbitrary in that case.

Tom Mattson said:
Evac,

I deleted your other thread, because it is basically the same as this one. If you want to modify your posts, use the Edit feature--no need to start another thread.

Ohhh. I think I know what happened. I hit the submit button instead of the preview button. I hit the stop button on my browser, but apparently is must have been too late. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
pellman said:
The middle term is the Lagrangian for the free EM field. By itself, the resulting Euler-Lagrange equations would give the free EM field dynamics. Just like the first term is the free Dirac field Lagrangian. Alone those two terms describe the two systems that are being allowed to interact via the third term. With one or the other of the first terms missing, you know longer have two interacting fields.

The free field EM term contains the first-derivatives of the A potential. Without it there is no dynamical information about the behavior of the EM field. That is, there is no differential equation to be satisfield by A. I haven't checked, but the A field would probably either be trivial or arbitrary in that case.

It is a point that the free fields in QED ARE the EM and Dirac fields, not some other fields. QED is thus just a minimal extension of Dirac and EM, all it adds is that they interact! And the quantization, of course.

Thanks for the wonderful answers, guys. I have a better understanding of this term now.

-EVAC

1. Why is the electromagnetic field tensor included in the QED Lagrangian?

The electromagnetic field tensor, also known as the Faraday tensor, is included in the QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) Lagrangian because it is a fundamental quantity that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. The Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a physical system, and the inclusion of the electromagnetic field tensor allows for the prediction and calculation of the behavior of charged particles in quantum electrodynamics.

2. How does the electromagnetic field tensor affect the behavior of charged particles?

The electromagnetic field tensor plays a crucial role in the behavior of charged particles because it determines the strength and direction of the electromagnetic force between them. This force is responsible for many physical phenomena, such as the attraction and repulsion of charged particles, the formation of electric and magnetic fields, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

3. Is the electromagnetic field tensor the same as the electric and magnetic fields?

No, the electromagnetic field tensor is not the same as the electric and magnetic fields. The electric and magnetic fields are vector fields that describe the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic forces, respectively. On the other hand, the electromagnetic field tensor is a mathematical object that combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single entity, allowing for a more elegant and concise description of the electromagnetic interactions.

4. Can the electromagnetic field tensor be derived from other fundamental laws or principles?

Yes, the electromagnetic field tensor can be derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental laws that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. The electromagnetic field tensor is also a consequence of the symmetries in nature, specifically the gauge symmetry, which is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory.

5. How does the inclusion of the electromagnetic field tensor impact the predictions of QED?

The inclusion of the electromagnetic field tensor in the QED Lagrangian allows for more accurate and precise predictions of the behavior of charged particles. Without it, the theory would not be able to fully explain and calculate phenomena such as the Lamb shift, the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron, and the scattering of particles in high-energy experiments. The inclusion of the electromagnetic field tensor is essential for the success of QED as a theory of particle interactions.