Improper Integrals: Simplifying & Evaluation

• Thread starter noname1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, an improper integral is an integral in which an infinite discontinuity appears in one of the limit points, or inside the interval. There are numerous methods of solving these integrals (they constitute a series of 14 courses and seminars, each 2 hours during this semester at my university). If you want to have a more elegant proof, a graphical solution is best for it.
noname1
I have a couple of integrals where i have to simplify using derive 6 and now i have to say if there are improper, if they have an infinite discontinuity or can't be evaluated.

I was wondering if someone could briefly explain what an improper is and that for example i can say that this equation have an infinite discontinuity at 1 or do i have to first solve the integral and than look at the answer?

∫(1/(x - 1)^(2/3)) from 0 to 2

Physics news on Phys.org
You've basically said the definition yourself. An improper integral is an integral in which an infinite discontinuity appears in one of the limit points, or inside the interval. There are numerous methods of solving these integrals (they constitute a series of 14 courses and seminars, each 2 hours during this semester at my university). I think that in this case what you can do is multiply the whole thing by [tex]x^{2/3}[/tex], and then test for convergence. If it converges then a conventional method will do. Then again there must be easier ways to do it, because I'm not that good at maths.

that doesn't make much sense because i have to first say if they are improper or not, second if they have a discontinuity in them. From what i understand not all improper integrals have a discontinuity in them correct?

than i was also wondering for example i can say that this equation have an infinite discontinuity at 1 or do i have to first solve the integral and than look at the answer?

∫(1/(x - 1)^(2/3)) from 0 to 2

Sorry for clouding up things if I did :). You are correct, not all of them have a discontinuity in them. Your integral is an improper Riemann integral of the second kind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improper_Riemann_integral. In the right hand corner there are some examples of improper integrals and they are explained better then I can explain them :).

So yes, it is an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity in 1, there's no need to solve it.
If you want to have a more elegant proof, a graphical solution is best for it. If you plot the integral, you will observe the existence of a vertical asymptote in the graph, so the area of the graph defined by the definite integral cannot be calculated, hence it is improper.

Hope this helps.
B.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the integrand function has a vertical asymptote within the limits of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using the standard techniques and requires special methods.

2. How do you simplify an improper integral?

To simplify an improper integral, you must first identify the type of improper integral (Type I or Type II). Then, use algebraic manipulation, substitution, or other techniques to transform the integral into a form that can be evaluated using standard techniques. In some cases, the integral may need to be broken up into smaller integrals to simplify it.

3. What is the process for evaluating an improper integral?

The process for evaluating an improper integral involves first simplifying the integral, if necessary. Then, using the appropriate method (such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitution), the integral is solved symbolically. If the integral cannot be evaluated symbolically, numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule can be used to approximate the value.

4. Can improper integrals have both infinite limits and vertical asymptotes?

Yes, an improper integral can have both infinite limits and vertical asymptotes. For example, the integral of 1/x from 0 to infinity has an infinite limit at the upper bound and a vertical asymptote at x=0. In these cases, the integral must be broken up into smaller integrals and evaluated separately.

5. Are there any special cases for improper integrals?

Yes, there are two special cases for improper integrals: Type I and Type II. Type I improper integrals have infinite limits of integration, while Type II improper integrals have a vertical asymptote within the limits of integration. These cases require different techniques for simplification and evaluation.