How to Prove a Limit Using Epsilon and Delta?

In summary: This is obvious if you draw the graph of y=x-1 and y=x+1. In summary, the conversation is about proving a limit using epsilons and deltas. The suggested method is to split the problem into two parts and find a delta for the rationals and another for the irrationals. There is some uncertainty about how to handle the fact that x belongs to Q or doesn't belong to Q and how it affects the solution. The person is unsure if their chosen deltas are correct for the given limit and asks for clarification. The expert responds by correcting the mistake in the second limit and suggests choosing delta to
gipc
Can someone please help me prove the following limit using epsilons and deltas?
[PLAIN]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/503/limesn.jpg

I'll be most thankful for any help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Split the problem up. Find a delta for the rationals, and then find a delta for the irrationals. Then just take the minimum of the two deltas. It's just a combination of two problems you probably already know how to do.

Can someone perhaps show me the deltas that apply? I'm not sure I'm doing it absolutely right.

If you are not sure you are doing it absolutely right, then, hopefully, you are doing something! Show us what you are doing and we will try to help.

I'm unsure how to handle the fact the x belongs to Q or doesn't belong to Q and how it affects the solution. The problem is that I have to give a solid proof using the definition and I don't know how it changes things.

Is this correct?
lim x+2=1 as x->(-1)

I need to show that 0<|x+1|<delta => |f(x)-L|=|x+2-1|=|x+1|<?epsilon
so if I choose delta=epsilon the condition will stand.
is this okay?

and what about lim x^2 as x->(-1)
if 0<|x-1|<delta then i need to show that for every epsilon,
|x^2 -1|<epsilon
but |x^2-1|=|x-1||x+1|<|x+1|
so if I choose delta=epsilon+1 this will work.

Did i choose the correct deltas?

The first one is ok. For the second one you want |x^2-1|=|x-1|*|x+1|<epsilon. But |x-1|*|x+1| isn't less than |x+1|. Make sure delta is always less than 1, eventually say delta=min(1,...). Then since |x+1|<1, -2<x<0. Then |x-1| is between 1 and 3.

Let me see if I understand.
since |x+1|<1 then 1<|x-1|<3 and then we can see more clearly that |x^2-1|=|x-1||x+1|<|x+1| (because |x-1| is bigger than |x+1|).

so we get |x+1|<?epsilon
and thus delta=epsilon-1

so in the end we'll take delta=min(1, epsilon-1)?

|x-1||x+1| isn't less than |x+1|. I already told you this. If x=(-2), |x-1|=3. 3*|x+1| isn't less than |x+1|.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The definition of a limit is the value that a function approaches as the input of the function approaches a certain value, typically denoted as x. It is also known as the "limiting value" or "asymptotic value".

2. How do you prove a limit by definition?

To prove a limit by definition, you need to show that for any given value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that when x is within a distance of δ from the specified value, the output of the function is within a distance of ε from the limit.

3. What is the purpose of proving a limit by definition?

The purpose of proving a limit by definition is to provide a rigorous and formal justification for the existence of a limit. It also allows us to determine the behavior of a function near a certain value and make predictions about its values.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is the value that a function approaches from either the left or right side of a specific value, while a two-sided limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches from both the left and right sides simultaneously.

5. Can a limit exist even if the function is not defined at the specified value?

Yes, a limit can still exist even if the function is not defined at the specified value. This is because a limit only considers the behavior of the function near the specified value, not necessarily the value at that point. As long as the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain value, the limit exists.