Unlock the Potential of "Smart Skin" with Metal Rubber

In summary, Metal Rubber's potential use in various industries has attracted attention from large corporations and government agencies. However, its long-term durability may depend on the type of polymer used. It is expected to be utilized by engineers in different fields.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
“Smart skin”

...the company’s small office has been flooded with calls from Fortune 500 companies and government agencies eager to test Metal Rubber’s use in everything from artificial muscles to smart clothes to shape-shifting airplane wings. [continued]

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,676853,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Most interesting. I suspect it should deteriorate over time due to diffusion. But that depends on the polymer used, and would probably take a long time...

Btw, I think this fits better in the Material/Chemical Engineering forum.

Btw, I think this fits better in the Material/Chemical Engineering forum.

I was thinking that engineers of all kinds will be using this stuff almost immediately.

What is "Smart Skin" and Metal Rubber?

"Smart Skin" refers to a type of material that is able to sense and respond to changes in its environment. Metal Rubber is a specific type of "Smart Skin" material that is made up of a combination of metal particles and a rubber matrix.

How does Metal Rubber work?

Metal Rubber works by using the properties of the metal particles to conduct electricity and the flexibility of the rubber matrix to allow for movement. This allows the material to sense changes in its environment and respond accordingly.

What are the potential applications of "Smart Skin" with Metal Rubber?

There are many potential applications for "Smart Skin" with Metal Rubber, including in robotics, medical devices, and aerospace technology. It can be used as a sensor for detecting changes in pressure, temperature, or strain, and can also be used for actuation purposes.

What are the advantages of using Metal Rubber compared to other "Smart Skin" materials?

Metal Rubber has several advantages over other "Smart Skin" materials, such as being highly flexible and durable, as well as being able to withstand a wide range of temperatures. It is also relatively inexpensive and can be easily produced in large quantities.

Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using "Smart Skin" with Metal Rubber?

One potential limitation of "Smart Skin" with Metal Rubber is that it may not be suitable for use in certain environments, such as those with high levels of moisture or harsh chemicals. Additionally, the material may require regular maintenance or replacement over time depending on its specific application.