Cold Rolling Reduction Calculation Troubleshooting: Negative Signs Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with calculating the reduction on a cold rolling process and whether a negative sign is normal. The expert advises to use positive values and discusses how the readings would differ depending on the bar being used. The conversation also touches on producing graphs to show the effect of cold rolling on hardness and the relationship between reduction and hardness. The expert notes that on average, as the reduction of area increases, so does the hardness. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation on how cold rolling affects hardness.
mikex24
I have some difficulties on calculating the reduction on cold rolling process but mi signs is negative. Is that normal? Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your negative sign just means that the bar is reducing in size. Just put the values as positive.

For the second reading, if you took the already reduced bar and reduced it again, then your 'original' readings would be from the first set.

BUT if you took a new bar, and then reduced it, it would be the actual original readings.

Thank you for the reply.. I use the same bar for all of the rollings. So my second equation to calculate the reduction will be like this one? ((5.25-5.83)/5.83)/100 ??

mikex24 said:
Thank you for the reply.. I use the same bar for all of the rollings. So my second equation to calculate the reduction will be like this one? ((5.25-5.83)/5.83)/100 ??

That should be it, yes.

Thank you very much for the help.

I am trying to produce the graphs of the Hardness VS Reduction which i calculated and then to explain the effect of cold rolling on Hardness. I produce those graphs but seems something is wrong. The graphs which produced it is not linear and no curve and i can't make any explanation... Any help? Cheers

For example:
Hardness:

Reduction:

Last edited:
It looks like on average, as your reduction of area increases, so does the hardness.

Thanks :).. Can you explain me little more the effect of cold rolling on hardness of the metals ? How does cold rolling effect on the hardness of the materials...? Cheers

Last edited:

1. What is cold rolling reduction?

Cold rolling reduction is a process in which a metal strip or sheet is compressed between two rollers to reduce its thickness and increase its strength and surface finish. It is commonly used in the manufacturing of steel and aluminum products.

2. How is cold rolling reduction calculated?

Cold rolling reduction is calculated by subtracting the final thickness of the metal strip or sheet from its initial thickness, and then dividing that value by the initial thickness. The result is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage reduction.

3. What are the common causes of negative signs in cold rolling reduction calculations?

Negative signs in cold rolling reduction calculations can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect measurements, errors in the calculation formula, or issues with the machinery used in the rolling process.

4. How do you troubleshoot negative signs in cold rolling reduction calculations?

To troubleshoot negative signs in cold rolling reduction calculations, it is important to double check the measurements and calculation formula used. If these are correct, then the issue may lie with the machinery and it may be necessary to check for any malfunctions or adjustments needed.

5. Can negative signs in cold rolling reduction calculations be corrected?

Yes, negative signs in cold rolling reduction calculations can be corrected by identifying and addressing the underlying issue. This may involve recalculating the reduction using correct measurements and formula, or making adjustments to the machinery to ensure accurate results.