Is scope drift always a bad thing in project management?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project for a large company that initially had two goals: a primary objective that cannot be discussed and low cost. However, as the project progressed, new ideas became more important and the scope of the project changed significantly, resulting in a much higher cost and the primary objective being overshadowed. The project was ultimately successful for unexpected reasons.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the last two+ years I've been involved in a project for a large company, that began as a back-of-a-napkin idea. I can't describe the project as it is all proprietary [customer] information, but the issue of scope drift is still interesting to consider. I will do my best not to be too cryptic.

We began with two goals: The primary objective X [which can't be discussed directly], and low cost. Early on we were challenged to justify the logic of certain aspects of the project. We justified the work according to the net benefit Y, which basically came down to an operational cost reduction argument unique to our design concept. I wrote an argument for this that passed muster.

As the project progressed, we hit on a number of ideas that gained popularity in their own right. Eventually these ideas became more important than the primary objective X, which had been mofidied to such an extent that it no longer resembled the original goal. Also, as the scope of the project continued to change, the cost of the project increased dramatically. In the end, the project cost much more than originally intended, the original goal X no longer applied, my argument no long applied, and the project is a huge success for reasons never intended.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to hear God laugh, just tell her your plans for the future.

What is "The upside of scope drift"?

"The upside of scope drift" refers to the phenomenon in scientific research where a project's scope expands beyond its initial goals and objectives. This can happen due to unexpected findings or new avenues of inquiry that arise during the course of the project.

How does scope drift impact scientific research?

Scope drift can have both positive and negative impacts on scientific research. On one hand, it can lead to new and exciting discoveries and breakthroughs. On the other hand, it can also cause delays and budget overruns if not managed effectively.

What are the potential benefits of scope drift?

Scope drift can lead to increased knowledge and understanding of a subject, as well as the potential for new applications or solutions. It can also create opportunities for collaboration and interdisciplinary research.

What are some strategies for managing scope drift?

To effectively manage scope drift, it is important to regularly reassess project goals and objectives, communicate with all team members, and prioritize tasks and resources. It may also be helpful to set clear boundaries and establish a contingency plan for unexpected findings.

Are there any potential risks associated with scope drift?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with scope drift, such as delays, budget overruns, and loss of focus on the original research goals. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the potential risks and benefits before allowing scope drift to occur and to actively monitor and manage it throughout the project.