Was debating about Elec. engineering and physics How about engineering physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between electrical engineering and engineering physics, with the participants debating the popularity and practicality of each field. They also touch on the accreditation and job opportunities for an engineering physics degree.
tamtam402
Was debating about Elec. engineering and physics... How about engineering physics??

There's not much info on engineering physics. I've read quite a lot of posts about people that loved physics but chose to go for electrical engineering, and most of them seem happy with their choice. From what I've found, electrical engineering is very math heavy, and is probably the engineering branch with the most "physics" in it.

What about engineering physics though?? Is there a reason why it isn't more popular for the "Love physics, want to choose the more practical/employable engineering route" crowd?

If I know I want to work in industry, and I plan to stop either at the Bsc or Msc level, is engineering physics worth considering??

Science news on Phys.org

Can you get an ABET accredited engineering physics degree? It could be important depending on what type of engineering you want to do after you graduate.

From my experience with electrical engineers, it doesn't seem to necessarily require much physics at all, but that really depends on what you want to do with an EE degree. I was also under the impression that engineering physics is actually pretty popular, but my guess is that what you would learn in such a major would vary significantly from school to school.

I think engineering physics is a very functional degree.

The only problem might be today's trend of electronic keyword resume searches that are looking for mechanical or electrical engineering (and other more commin engineering majors).

I'm not sure what ABET stands for but here in Canada the degree will make me a professional engineer, yes.

Engineering physics is a relatively new and interdisciplinary field that combines the principles of physics and engineering to solve complex problems in a variety of industries. It offers a unique blend of theoretical knowledge and practical skills, making it an attractive option for those who have a passion for both physics and engineering.

While electrical engineering may be more popular and well-established, engineering physics offers a more holistic approach to problem-solving and can lead to diverse career opportunities. It also allows for a deeper understanding of fundamental physical concepts which can be applied in various engineering fields.

If you have a strong interest in both physics and engineering, and are looking for a well-rounded education that can lead to a variety of career paths, then engineering physics may be worth considering. It is important to research and understand the specific curriculum and career opportunities offered by different universities to determine if it aligns with your goals and interests.

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and physics?

Electrical engineering is a field that focuses on the application of electrical concepts to design and develop systems and devices, while physics is a fundamental science that explores the behavior and properties of matter and energy. Electrical engineering is a more practical and hands-on field, while physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the underlying principles of nature.

2. Is engineering physics a combination of electrical engineering and physics?

Engineering physics is a field that integrates concepts from both electrical engineering and physics to solve complex problems. It combines the practical application of electrical engineering with the theoretical foundation of physics to design and develop new technologies and systems.

3. Which field is better for a career, electrical engineering or engineering physics?

Both fields offer promising and rewarding career opportunities, but the choice ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy hands-on work and designing new technologies, electrical engineering may be a better fit. If you have a passion for both theory and application and want to work on cutting-edge research and development, engineering physics may be a better choice.

4. Can I study both electrical engineering and physics simultaneously?

Yes, you can pursue a double major or a minor in both fields if your university offers it. Alternatively, you can also choose to specialize in a specific area of engineering physics that combines both disciplines, such as optics, materials science, or nanotechnology.

5. What skills are required for a career in engineering physics?

A strong foundation in math, physics, and problem-solving is essential for a career in engineering physics. Additionally, skills in computer programming, critical thinking, and communication are highly valued in this field. Hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and research projects can also be beneficial for career advancement.