Solving the Mystery of e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity

In summary, the conversation is about an identity used in a book that involves the operators H, T, and V, where H is equal to T plus V and the last term indicates higher order terms. The speaker is having trouble understanding how this identity is derived due to the non-commutativity of T and V. They ask for help and mention that this is not an exercise problem. They are advised to look up the Baker-Hausdorff lemma for further clarification.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi guys

In my book they use the following identity

[tex]
e^{ - i\widehat Ht/\hbar } = e^{ - i\widehat Tt/\hbar } e^{ - i\widehat Vt/\hbar } + O(t^2 )
[/tex]

where H = T+V, and the last term means "terms of order t2 or higher". I can't quite see how they reach this identity. First, I know that T and V do not commute, so I guess that is where the O(t2) comes from.

Any help will be appreciated. (BTW, this is not an exercise problem -- just something in my book that I cannot understand).Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the Baker-Hausdorff lemma.

1. What is e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity?

The e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity, also known as the time-evolution operator in quantum mechanics, is a mathematical expression used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is the e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity important?

The e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity is important because it allows us to calculate the state of a quantum system at any given time. It is also used to describe the behavior of quantum systems under different conditions and in various experiments.

3. How is the e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity used in solving mysteries?

The e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity is used in solving mysteries by providing a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses about the behavior of these systems, ultimately leading to a better understanding of the underlying mysteries.

4. What are some real-world applications of the e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity?

The e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity has many real-world applications, including in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in the study of materials at the atomic and subatomic levels, and in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using the e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity?

While the e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it is not without limitations. One challenge is that it can only be used to describe systems in which the Hamiltonian remains constant over time. Additionally, the calculations involved in using the e^(-iHt/hbar) Identity can become extremely complex for larger and more complex systems, making it challenging to apply in certain scenarios.