A confusing prob. on maxima and minima

In summary, when finding the maximum of a constrained function, it is important to consider the boundaries of the domain in addition to the interior. In this case, the maximum of u(x,t)=-2xt-x^2 in the given region is at x=-1, t=1, with a value of 1.
heman
I have u(x,t)=-2xt-x^2 find maximum in region {-2 ≤ x ≤ 2 , 0 ≤ t ≤ 1}

I believe to find the critical point first I have to take the partial derivative with respect to x and t and equate to zero.
Thus
Ux=-2t-2x = 0
Ut=-2x = 0

Thus the only critcal point I find is x=0, t=0.
But the maximum (answer at back of book) is x=-1, t=1 => u(-1,1)=1

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
heman said:
I have u(x,t)=-2xt-x^2 find maximum in region {-2 ≤ x ≤ 2 , 0 ≤ t ≤ 1}

I believe to find the critical point first I have to take the partial derivative with respect to x and t and equate to zero.
Thus
Ux=-2t-2x = 0
Ut=-2x = 0

Thus the only critcal point I find is x=0, t=0.
But the maximum (answer at back of book) is x=-1, t=1 => u(-1,1)=1

Where did I go wrong?
You looked for a global extremum. There's just one, as you found. But you overlooked the constraint -- you're only looking at a little piece of the domain. For a simpler example that shows the same issue, look at

[tex]y = 2x \ \ \ \lbrace 0 \leq x \leq 1 \rbrace[/tex]

Its derivative wrt x is 2 ... never zero. But it certainly has a maximum on the region [0,1], at 1, where it takes the value y=2.

When the problem is constrained you need to look for a maximum or minimum in the interior of the domain, as you did, but then you also need to work your way around the boundary looking for maxima and minima there, as well.

It seems like you have correctly found the critical point by taking the partial derivatives and setting them equal to zero. However, it's possible that there is more than one critical point in this region, and the one you found (x=0, t=0) is not the maximum. This could be the case if there are other critical points that satisfy the given conditions of {-2 ≤ x ≤ 2 , 0 ≤ t ≤ 1}.

To find the maximum, you can use the second derivative test to determine if the critical point you found is a maximum or a minimum. If it is a maximum, then it should be the answer given in the back of the book. If it is a minimum, then there must be another critical point that is the maximum.

Another possibility is that there is a mistake in the given conditions or in the answer in the back of the book. It's always a good idea to double check the problem and the answer to make sure they are correct.

In summary, it seems like you have correctly found the critical point, but there may be other critical points or a mistake in the problem or answer. Keep exploring and checking your work to find the correct solution.

1. What is the concept of maxima and minima?

The concept of maxima and minima refers to the highest and lowest values of a function or equation. In other words, it is the point at which the function reaches its peak or its lowest point. This is also known as the local extremum.

2. How do you find the maxima and minima of a function?

To find the maxima and minima of a function, you can use the first derivative test or the second derivative test. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function and then evaluating the derivative at those points. The second derivative test involves finding the critical points and then evaluating the second derivative at those points. If the second derivative is positive, it is a minimum point, and if it is negative, it is a maximum point.

3. Can a function have more than one maxima or minima?

Yes, a function can have multiple maxima and minima points. These are known as local extrema. A function can also have a global maximum or minimum, which is the highest or lowest point on the entire function. However, a function can only have one global maximum or minimum.

4. What is the difference between relative and absolute maxima and minima?

Relative maxima and minima refer to the local extrema of a function, meaning the highest and lowest points within a specific interval or range. Absolute maxima and minima, on the other hand, refer to the global extrema of a function, meaning the overall highest and lowest points on the entire function.

5. How can maxima and minima be applied in real-life situations?

Maxima and minima can be applied in various real-life situations, such as finding the optimal production level for a company or determining the maximum or minimum value of a stock. They can also be used in physics to find the maximum or minimum velocity or acceleration of an object. In economics, maxima and minima can be used to determine the maximum or minimum price for a product. Essentially, they can be applied in any situation where finding the highest or lowest value is necessary for decision making.