Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics

In summary: You can use the following equation:F=mawith F the drag force and m the mass of the object. To find the angle you need to solve for the tangent at the point of impact:tan(a)=-F/mor in other words:tan(a)=F/(m*a)
niko2000
Hi,
Let's tie a sphere, drop it into a water and trawl it with a boat. How do we calculate the angle between a vertical line and rope?
Actually I don't know much about aerodynamics and hydrodynamics so I don't know how drag force is calculated from shape, mass and speed of an object. Recently I have started using Simulink and Matlab so it would really help me to get a some formula so I could try to do some model.
Thank you,
Regards,
Niko

Physics news on Phys.org
niko2000 said:
I don't know much about aerodynamics and hydrodynamics

Well you need quite a bit of knowledge of these fields to properly do the calculations. For instance engineers usually model the drag force by using the empirical relation:

[tex]F_D=C_D(Re)A\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2[/tex]

With A the frontal surface of your sphere. rho the density of water and v your velocity. The drag coefficient ([itex]C_D[/tex]) depends on the Reynolds number so imlicitly on the velocity. If you want to find the drag force for a certain fixed velocity of the boat you could calculate the Reynolds number from its definition:

[tex]Re=\frac{\rho v D}{\mu}[/tex]

With D the characteristic length scale, in your case the diameter of the sphere and [itex]\mu[/tex] the dynamic viscosity of water. Next you could look up the drag coefficient in a graph or something, only for certain Reynolds numbers (<1) this can be analytically found:

[tex]C_D= \frac{24}{Re}[/tex]

But for Re<1 your boat would have to move very! slowly. For 1E3<Re<2E5 the drag coëfficiënt is approximately constant (~0,4). See: http://www.uh.edu/engines/spheredrag.jpg for an example of how to find the drag coefficient from the Reynolds number.

With the drag coëfficient you can calculate the drag with the first formula. But again, I think a good calculation involves a lot of knowledge of the fields you mention and will be quite labourous, so you might still want to change your mind...

Well, giving it another thought. If you discard the effect of the boat on the water, so you can evaluate the flow as homogeneous, a first approximation is not too difficult.

1. What is the difference between aerodynamics and hydrodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how gases interact with solid objects, while hydrodynamics is the study of how liquids interact with solid objects. Both fields involve the study of fluid mechanics, but they focus on different types of fluids.

2. How do aerodynamics and hydrodynamics impact the design of vehicles?

Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics play a crucial role in the design of vehicles, as they determine the drag and lift forces that act on the vehicle. By understanding these forces, engineers can design more efficient and streamlined vehicles.

3. What is the Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to aerodynamics and hydrodynamics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is important in both aerodynamics and hydrodynamics as it explains how lift is generated on airplane wings and how boats can sail against the wind.

4. How do aerodynamics and hydrodynamics impact sports?

Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics have a significant impact on sports such as cycling, swimming, and skiing. Athletes and coaches use these principles to design equipment and techniques that help reduce drag and improve performance.

5. What are some real-world applications of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics?

Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics have numerous real-world applications, including aircraft design, shipbuilding, wind turbine technology, and even the design of buildings and bridges. These principles are also crucial in predicting and understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.