Multivariable Calc. Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area between two circles as one circle is shifted up to overlap with the other. The approach mentioned involves using plane geometry and considering the overlap as two pieces of the circles, each consisting of a sector and a triangle. The area can be calculated using the radius of the circles and the distance between the two points where they overlap. The final formula for the area is 2(C-A), where C is the area of the sector and A is the area of the triangle.
balrog1212
Hi,

I've been working on this problem for a few days and I'm pretty stuck. I'm working on how much area is eclipsed by some arbitrary planet by another over a given time. My question is if I have two circles one given by (y-100)^2+x^2 = 100^2 and the other given by (y+100)^2+x^2 = 100^2, how much area will be between those two curves as the second circle is shifted up until it is directly on top of the other circle?

my attempt to do this was to make the first circle (y-100)^2+x^2 = 100^2 and the second circle (y+100-t)^2+x^2 = 100^2. I would then want to find the area between those two curves as t goes from 0 to 200.

My ability to take integrals with multiple variables is poor but I will be taking calc 3 next semester so that should help.

any information on how to set this up or general help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should be able to do this with plane geometry. Overlap consists of two pieces of the circles, where each piece is a sector minus a triangle.

Could I just use plane geometry to find the area between the two circles through the whole process of t going from 0 to 200?

I guess I could rephrase my question as "If I wanted to find the area between the two circles as t goes from 0 to 200 what would it be?"

at t=0 the area would be zero, at t=200 the area would be 10,000pi

so the total area I want to find would be (area at t=0+...+area at t=50+...+area at t=100+...+area at t=150+...+area at t=200) with every area in between those accounted for too.

The basic calculation gets one half, so at the end it is doubled.

Let r = radius of circle, s = t/2 (makes life easier for me). Consider line (L) connecting the two points where the circles overlap. The line from circle center to L has length r-s.
L has length 2√(2rs-s2). Therefore area of triangle is:
A=(r-s)√(2rs-s2).

The arc of the circle overlap is B=2arccos(1 - s/r). Therefore the area of the sector is C=Br2/2.

So the area you want is 2(C - A).

I suggest you check my calculations, so you will understand what is going on.

Dear friend,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the setup for the problem and your approach is on the right track. To find the area between two curves, we can use the formula for the definite integral. In this case, we will need to integrate with respect to both x and y.

To set up the integral, we can start by finding the intersection points between the two circles. These points will determine the limits of integration for both x and y. Once we have those limits, we can use the formula for the definite integral to find the area between the curves.

Since you mentioned that your ability to take integrals with multiple variables is poor, I would recommend reviewing the concept of double integrals and practicing some problems before attempting this one. Also, as you mentioned, taking calc 3 next semester will definitely help with your understanding and ability to solve these types of problems.

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck!

Best,

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables, such as three-dimensional space. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions with multiple independent variables.

2. What are some applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as motion in three-dimensional space, optimization problems, and financial models.

3. What are the key concepts in multivariable calculus?

Some key concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and optimization. These concepts are used to analyze functions with multiple variables and to solve problems involving multiple dimensions.

4. How is multivariable calculus different from single-variable calculus?

While single-variable calculus deals with functions of one independent variable, multivariable calculus deals with functions of multiple independent variables. This means that the concepts, techniques, and applications of multivariable calculus are more complex and often require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

5. What are some resources for learning multivariable calculus?

There are many resources available for learning multivariable calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. Online platforms such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses on multivariable calculus.