Has anyone seen Higgs' Boson recently

In summary, physicists at CERN have announced that they have seen hints of the Higgs Boson, a particle theorized by Peter Higgs that grants mass to other particles. However, they still need to open up the detector and find where it went to confirm its existence. In the meantime, people are joking about losing the Higgs Boson and discussing alternative theories for explaining the existence of mass. Despite the media hype, physicists remain interested and open-minded about the findings.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
by any chance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Damn, you lost it again?!

Checked behind the couch?

CERN announced they saw hints of one. They need to open up the detector and find where it went though. Hopefully it doesn't jump out and try to escape to Italy like those neutrinos did.

e.bar.goum said:

It might be under the dresser. Those rascals are quite easy to lose track of.

I MIGHT have swept it up and thrown it into the trash. My bad.

Eighteen months ago I made a custom bumper sticker I have on my car (dreading the likely way upcoming political campaigns would play out):

Higgs 2012
Susy Too

At least half of it is somewhat promising.

My bumper sticker

Attachments

• Higgs Boson.jpg
    Higgs Boson.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 430
Maybe it's that fuzzy blob under my bed. You know, Heisenberg uncertainty principle and all that. No, wait, it's just a dust bunny. :frown:

If not Higgs' Boson, then perhaps Hugged Bison will do?

2763458626_2431304694.jpg

This time of year, I'm trying to *lose* weight, not find it.

Perhaps they will be more successful at measuring it's elusivity.

Anyway - just in case - what colour is it? If I see one, I'll let folks know.

Borek said:
If not Higgs' Boson, then perhaps Hugged Bison will do?

2763458626_2431304694.jpg

It looks massive.

That's all down to the Higgs boson dontcherknow - it creates mass.

Hey - including its own!?

All very confusing really, well I expect these physicists know what they're doing.

Astronuc said:
Perhaps they will be more successful at measuring it's elusivity.

Anyway - just in case - what colour is it? If I see one, I'll let folks know.

Hey, I always thought the Higgs was colorless if SM is correct ...

I was worried the BSM Forum was going to be flooded with crackpots drawn to PF like honey. I guess I shouldn't have. I think the melodramatic way that most of the media handled it was partly the reason. The news mentioned it as a thirty second aside at the end of the nightly news. Whew, that was close... :bugeye: Imagine what would have happened if they did a five minute piece with background.

Rhody...

e.bar.goum said:

There would be no couch without it - it *must* be under there.

I hope they never find it. I'm heavy enough as it is.

I don't lose things because I put them in a specific place. I put my Higgs Boson next to my keys so I don't forget it in the morning when I leave for school.

I actually equipped mine with one of those pet-tracking devices, just in case I lose it.

Slightly off-topic: What is the reason for the apostrophe in "Higgs' Boson" in the title of the thread? I guess I misunderstood the question.

I have no idea where Peter's boson is; he can keep track of his own particles.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
by any chance?
Several women have. That's why he's no longer running for president.

PAllen said:
Hey, I always thought the Higgs was colorless if SM is correct ...

While colorless and odorless, most people think they taste like chicken.

Ivan Seeking said:

Chicken tastes like ranch dressing to me. I think it's because I put a lot of ranch dressing on it. :redface:

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2011/07/29/139570.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck is the Higgs? Now I'm scared.

I say we put it on a milk carton with "Have you seen this boson?"

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a Higgs that wasn’t there
It wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish it would go away...

When I came home last night at three
The Higgs was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn’t see it there at all!
Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door... (slam!)

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little Higgs who wasn’t there
It wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish it would go away

Ivan Seeking said:

Ivan, it is Higgs Boson, not Higg's bosom.

Peter Higgs theorized about the existence of a mass-granting boson quite a while back. Many millions of dollars have been spent trying to find this wonderful particle. While current experiments have managed to rule out larger and larger spreads of energies where the Higgs can't be, there is a curious lack of professional curiosity IMO.

What if Higgs was off base, and the Standard Model of particle physics needs to be modified so that particles can be shown to have mass without the mediation of intermediate particles?

I think we're all bosons this bus.

:rofl:
Jimmy Snyder said:
I think we're all bosons this bus.

turbo said:
Peter Higgs theorized about the existence of a mass-granting boson quite a while back. Many millions of dollars have been spent trying to find this wonderful particle. While current experiments have managed to rule out larger and larger spreads of energies where the Higgs can't be, there is a curious lack of professional curiosity IMO.

What if Higgs was off base, and the Standard Model of particle physics needs to be modified so that particles can be shown to have mass without the mediation of intermediate particles?

Don't know why you would think this. Alternative mechanisms were proposed contemporaneously with Higgs, and at intervals ever since. It is a whole cottage industry in HEP theory. Lack of media attention does not imply lack of existence. The popularity of the Higgs is simply that most physicists think it works best (either in its simplest form, or in a supersymmetric extension) Note a few additional points left out of too many media stories:

1) The region not excluded was, from fairly early on, the region believed most likely to have the Higgs. Thus the exclusions are interesting but uneventful: it's not where we thought it probably wasn't.

2) If the last region is excluded, physicists are more than ready to pull out one of the alternatives or invent new ones.

Last edited:
Is this the guy we're looking for?

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp67negAWA1qzpo93o1_500.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Boson's have a GREEN nose...

Higgs and his boson buddies went to the bar.
Bartender says "This is a clean place. You guys better not make a mass around here."
( uncontrolled laughter )
Uranium didn't want trouble so he split.
Neutrino just whisked back on out, barely noticed.
Electron got excited and emmitted something to Photon.
Photon shifted red-faced and waved goodby.
In the commotion, Higgs was no where to be found.

Ok, enough fun and frivolity, http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/dec/18/untitled-p_godparticle121811/
The Higgs is the holdout. One major problem with finding the Higgs is it doesn’t stick around very long. It’s too ephemeral to be captured in a bottle. It theoretically winks into existence in high-energy collisions for a mere yoctosecond, which is one-septillionth of a second.

It then decays into less-exotic particles that careen in all directions in an uncontrolled spew. The challenge for scientists is to analyze this decay pattern and look for authentic Higgs debris buried amid the subatomic wreckage.

It’s like stalking a snow leopard by its footprints after a million other big cats have tramped across the same snow field.

After the announcement, physicists immediately did what physicists do: They argued about the data.

and...

In the past year, the LHC has produced some 300 trillion collisions. And still it’s not enough. The search requires powerful computers looking for a Higgs-suggestive bump, or an “excess of events,” in some region of the data.

Such a bump has now appeared at a specific place, showing something with a mass of around 125 billion electron volts, roughly 125 times the mass of a proton. If that’s the Higgs, it would support the Standard Model of particle physics and be in a range where further scrutiny might turn up more definitive proof.
A yoctosecond is 10 to the minus 24th of a second, which is is one septillionth (short scale) of a second. I thought CMS and ATLAS had sampling rates and frequencies that are much much longer than this, so how to capture such a rare and exceedingly fast event ? Since this is GD I only expect a layman's response to steer me in the right direction, unless of course some BSM professional is out there who cares to answer to a higher level of fidelity, so to speak.

Rhody...

<h2>1. What is Higgs' Boson?</h2><p>Higgs' Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs and was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider.</p><h2>2. Why is it important to find Higgs' Boson?</h2><p>Finding Higgs' Boson is important because it helps us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also confirms the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics and opens doors for further research and discoveries.</p><h2>3. Has anyone seen Higgs' Boson recently?</h2><p>Yes, Higgs' Boson was last seen in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider. However, scientists are constantly studying and analyzing data to learn more about this elusive particle.</p><h2>4. Can Higgs' Boson be recreated in a lab?</h2><p>Yes, Higgs' Boson has been successfully recreated in a lab at the Large Hadron Collider. This was done by colliding protons at extremely high energies, resulting in the production of Higgs' Boson.</p><h2>5. What are the implications of finding Higgs' Boson?</h2><p>Discovering Higgs' Boson has confirmed the existence of a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles. This has helped us better understand the Standard Model of particle physics and has opened doors for further research and discoveries in the field of particle physics.</p>

1. What is Higgs' Boson?

Higgs' Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs and was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider.

2. Why is it important to find Higgs' Boson?

Finding Higgs' Boson is important because it helps us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also confirms the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics and opens doors for further research and discoveries.

3. Has anyone seen Higgs' Boson recently?

Yes, Higgs' Boson was last seen in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider. However, scientists are constantly studying and analyzing data to learn more about this elusive particle.

4. Can Higgs' Boson be recreated in a lab?

Yes, Higgs' Boson has been successfully recreated in a lab at the Large Hadron Collider. This was done by colliding protons at extremely high energies, resulting in the production of Higgs' Boson.

5. What are the implications of finding Higgs' Boson?

Discovering Higgs' Boson has confirmed the existence of a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles. This has helped us better understand the Standard Model of particle physics and has opened doors for further research and discoveries in the field of particle physics.