Richard Feynman's lectures on physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Electromagnetics fields and the question of whether one can understand Volume 2 of Richard Feynman's lectures on Physics without first reading Volume 1. The conversation concludes that while it may be possible to understand Volume 2 without Volume 1, it is highly recommended to have a good understanding of physics 1 topics before attempting to read it. Additionally, there are many dependencies and references to Volume 1 in Volume 2, making it difficult to fully comprehend without having read the first volume.
iVenky
I am doing electrical engineering. I wish to know about Electromagnetics fields. I read little bit in Richard Feynman's lectures on Physics and I liked it a lot. Actually he had written about Emf in Volume 2. Will I be able to understand Volume 2 without seeing Volume 1? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think so. Provided you know some physics 1 topics from school or whatnot.

Last edited:
FLP I and II are part of the same physics course, not two separate physics courses, and so there are many dependencies. As Daverz points out there is an extended discussion of electromagnetic radiation in Vol. I, starting with the mathematical prerequisites in chapter 21, Algebra, and continuing unabated through chapter 36, Mechanisms of Seeing, all together constituting about 1/3rd of Vol. I. Moreover, in Vol. II there are 121 references to chapters, sections, figures, tables and equations in Vol. I which will be meaningless if you don't have it.

Mike Gottlieb
Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
www.feynmanlectures.info

I highly recommend reading Richard Feynman's lectures on physics, especially Volume 2 which covers electromagnetism. Feynman was a renowned physicist and his lectures are known for their clarity and depth of understanding. While it is always beneficial to have a strong foundation in a subject before diving into more advanced topics, it is possible to understand Volume 2 without having read Volume 1. However, I would suggest at least familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts of physics before delving into electromagnetism. This will help you better understand the material and make connections between different topics. Additionally, don't hesitate to refer back to Volume 1 if you come across any concepts that you are unfamiliar with. Happy reading!

1. Who is Richard Feynman and why are his lectures on physics important?

Richard Feynman was an American theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics, particle physics, and quantum electrodynamics. His lectures on physics are important because they provide a comprehensive and engaging overview of the key concepts and principles in physics, making them accessible to a wide audience.

2. What topics are covered in Richard Feynman's lectures on physics?

Richard Feynman's lectures on physics cover a wide range of topics including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and atomic and nuclear physics. He also discusses more advanced topics such as relativity and the nature of light.

3. Are Richard Feynman's lectures on physics suitable for beginners?

Yes, Richard Feynman's lectures on physics are suitable for beginners. Feynman's teaching style is known for being engaging, accessible, and easy to understand, making his lectures a great resource for those new to the subject of physics.

4. How can I access Richard Feynman's lectures on physics?

Richard Feynman's lectures on physics are available in several forms, including a three-volume book set, audio recordings, and video lectures. They can also be found online through various platforms such as YouTube and iTunes U.

5. What makes Richard Feynman's lectures on physics unique and valuable?

Richard Feynman's lectures on physics are unique and valuable because they not only cover the fundamental principles of physics, but they also provide insights into Feynman's thought process and approach to problem-solving. This makes them not only informative but also entertaining and inspiring for anyone interested in the field of physics.