Designing an Ion Thruster: An Undergrad Student's Journey

In summary, the conversation discusses an undergraduate student's research project on designing and making an ion thruster. The first step involves creating an electron source using a jerry-rigged Crook's Tube with an Aluminum Foil Membrane and steel sewing needles. The student is looking for a way to calculate the electric field/potential on the surface of the needles or a metal cone. Suggestions and advice are welcomed, as well as any recommended reading material. The main difficulty of ion thrusters is ensuring durability, and the use of needles for this purpose is questionable. AC induction in a low-pressure gas is suggested as a possible alternative.
gjtrash
Hello and thanks for taking a look

I'm an undergrad student that is trying to design and make a ion thruster for my research project. I know, I should of started with something simpler. The first part of this project is creating an electron source to provide the electron beam to ionize the Argon gas.
My design is basically a jerry-rigged Crook's Tube with an Aluminum Foil Membrane at one end.

I'm Using steel sowing needles that are grouped in arrays of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20 and 25. I've looked for material with lower work functions but I'm working of a budget of a taste more then zero. I've built a Full wave rectifier power box to convert a 15kV AV to DC with 24kV, .3μF capacitance smoother caps in parallel with the Anode needle array, and cathode membrane.

what I'm trying to find is a way or method to calculate the electric field/potential on the surface of a the needles, or for simpler modeling features, a metal cone. Cone Dimensions are Cylinder length 30mm, height of cone from cylinder to tip 2.5mm, radius of cylinder is 0.35mm.

I've worked with finding and calculating electric potential on the surface of cylinder's and spheres witch is pretty straight forward but with a cone I've hit the wall. I've tried using several methods with different answers to all. I know that as curvature increases that potential field increases and that is what makes it difficult to calculate.

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, excpecially any reading material on this type problem.

Thanks Again.

Engineering news on Phys.org

The field at the tip depends essentially on the curvature radius of the tip, not on the radii elsewhere. If you knew this radius, you could compute the field approximately as if the tip were a sphere.

A perfect cone won't give any sensible figure because its tip radius is zero.

The main difficulty of ion thrusters is to last. I doubt they use needles for that aim. AC induction in a low-pessure gas maybe?

Enthalpy said:
The field at the tip depends essentially on the curvature radius of the tip, not on the radii elsewhere. If you knew this radius, you could compute the field approximately as if the tip were a sphere.

A perfect cone won't give any sensible figure because its tip radius is zero.

The main difficulty of ion thrusters is to last. I doubt they use needles for that aim. AC induction in a low-pessure gas maybe?
thanks for the input. I'll try to play around with that to get a reasonable figure.

I've been reading and looking into this topic for a while and picked up a couple of books on it.
"Physics of ELectric Propulsion. bye Robert G Jahn." lot of information, most beyond me right now but that what makes if fun.

thanks again.

1. What is an ion thruster and how does it work?

An ion thruster is a type of propulsion system used in spacecrafts to generate thrust by accelerating ions. It works by ionizing a propellant gas, usually xenon, and using an electric field to accelerate the ions out of the thruster at high speeds, creating thrust in the opposite direction.

2. What are the benefits of using an ion thruster?

One of the main benefits of using an ion thruster is its high specific impulse, which means it can produce more thrust per unit of propellant compared to traditional chemical rockets. This results in a more efficient use of propellant and longer mission durations. Ion thrusters also have a very low fuel consumption rate, making them ideal for long-distance space travel.

3. What materials are used in the construction of an ion thruster?

The main components of an ion thruster include an ionization chamber, an ion accelerator, and an ion beam neutralizer. These components are typically made of materials that can withstand high temperatures and corrosive environments, such as ceramics, graphite, and tungsten.

4. What are the challenges in designing an ion thruster?

Designing an ion thruster involves overcoming several challenges, including managing the extremely high temperatures generated by ionization, ensuring the stability and accuracy of the electric fields used to accelerate ions, and minimizing the erosion of thruster components due to ion bombardment. Additionally, the complex interactions between the electric and magnetic fields within the thruster must be carefully considered in the design process.

5. How can an undergraduate student get involved in designing an ion thruster?

There are several ways for undergraduate students to get involved in ion thruster research, such as joining a university research group or participating in internships at companies or organizations that specialize in space propulsion. Additionally, students can also attend conferences and workshops to learn more about the latest advancements in ion thruster technology and network with professionals in the field.