When is it safe to use eV units and when do we have to convert eV units into kg?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of eV units in formulas and the confusion surrounding when they can be safely used. It is mentioned that converting the mass unit from kg to MeV can affect the accuracy of the answer, depending on the formula being used. The general rule is that when using eV units, the mass unit must be consistent throughout the formula.
DunWorry

Homework Statement

I have a misunderstanding of when I can safely use eV units in a formula. For example in the formula p = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{E^{2} - m^{2}c^{4}}{c^{2}}}[/itex] I can put the energy and mass in terms of MeV and get an answer with units MeV/C, which makes sense. But then there was this formula I was using e[itex]^{-\sqrt{\frac{2m (V-E)}{h^{2}}}x} [/itex]

where m is mass, v is potential, e is energy, h bar squared on bottom (I couldn't find symbol) and x is in metres. It is supposed to give probability which is dimensionless. However, if I put in mass, potential and energy in terms of eV, I get a wrong answer. if I convert the mass into kg, put potential and energy in terms of joules then I get the correct answer. Why could I use eV in the first case but had to convert in the second case? is it because I am multiplying by x which is in metres so it somehow does not work with eV? what if I had another formula with mass/energy and was multiplying by a speed with units m/s? would I again have to convert all eV units into kg/joules etc?

Are there any general rules I should keep in mind whilst working with eV?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi DunWorry! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(it's the obvious … \hbar :wink:)

The only unit you've changed is the mass unit (by a factor MeV/kg).

If the terms in the top line of your formula all contain MeV, then since the bottom line (c2) doesn't contain mass at all, there's no difficulty: the result will be in MeV.

In your second formula, the bottom line (##\hbar##2) does contain mass, so it won't work unless you rewrite h in terms of Mev. :wink:

(so the general rule is that it's ok to change the mass unit, so long as you change it everywhere)​

What are eV units and kg units?

eV (electron volt) units are a unit of energy commonly used in physics, particularly in the study of subatomic particles. kg (kilogram) units are a unit of mass commonly used in both everyday life and scientific contexts.

When is it safe to use eV units?

eV units are typically used when discussing the energy levels and properties of subatomic particles, atoms, and molecules. They are also commonly used in the fields of quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

When do we have to convert eV units into kg units?

eV units can be converted into kg units using the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.60218 x 10^-19 kg. This conversion is necessary when discussing the mass-energy equivalence of particles, as well as in some other contexts where energy and mass are being compared.

Why do we use eV units instead of kg units in certain situations?

eV units are often used in situations where the values involved are very small (such as at the subatomic level) or very large (such as in astronomical calculations). This is because eV units are better suited for expressing these values in a more manageable and concise way than kg units.

Can eV units and kg units be used interchangeably?

No, eV units and kg units cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different physical quantities (energy and mass, respectively) and have different conversion factors. It is important to use the correct units in different contexts to ensure accurate and consistent measurements and calculations.