Fv=10 000 What do I do to find weekly payment general annuity

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the weekly deposit needed for Mary to save $10,000 in 5 years for a car down payment. They discuss the nominal interest rate and how to find it, and also compare 11.95% compounded weekly to 12% compounded monthly. They also mention using a graphing calculator for calculations and discuss rounding and accuracy. In the end, they determine that the correct value for the nominal interest rate is 12%, and the weekly deposit needed is $28.15.
aisha
Mary would like to save $10 000 at the end of 5 years for a future down payment on a car. How much should she deposit at the end of each week in a savings account that pays 12%/a compounded monthly, to meet her goal?

This is a general ordinary annuity
therefore before I make the line diagram and write out the series and find out the weekly payment I am thinking that I will probably have to find the nominal interest rate first Is this correct? How do I do this question? PLz help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Is 11.95%/a compounded weekly equivalent to 12%/a compounded monthly? SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME!

God no, 11.95% compounded weekly is like 50% compounded monthly.

ok well what do i do when i find fv i get $28.15 with the formula and $28.24 on the graphing calculator

I have to find the nominal interest rate don't I?

aisha said:
Is 11.95%/a compounded weekly equivalent to 12%/a compounded monthly? SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME!

Pretty close. It's a good idea to avoid rounding until absolutely necessary though. (Pengwuino, these are quoted as nominal rates)

aisha said:
ok well what do i do when i find fv i get $28.15 with the formula and $28.24 on the graphing calculator

Uhh, how did the graphing calculator calculate that? Is it some kind of rounding problem? I'm not sure why your answers are different.

I don't know I think the graphing calculator is correct here are the values I input into the tvm solver

N=260.00
I%=12
PV=0.00
PMT=0.00
FV=10 000
P/Y=52
C/Y=4.00
PMT: END BEGIN

I tried so hard not to round when I was using the formula but my decimal gets smaller not bigger no matter what.

Is the new interest rate I calculated correct? Thats the one i pluged into the future value formula not the 12%

I think I just saw my mistake C/Y should be 12 not 4 when I change this value I get $28.15 which is what I get when I use the formula this value should be correct right?

1. What is the formula for calculating weekly payments for a general annuity with a future value (Fv) of 10,000?

The formula for calculating weekly payments for a general annuity with a future value of 10,000 is:

PMT = Fv / [(1+r)^n - 1] * [r / (1+r)^n]

Where PMT is the weekly payment, Fv is the future value, r is the interest rate, and n is the number of periods.

2. How do I determine the interest rate (r) for the general annuity?

The interest rate (r) can be determined by dividing the annual interest rate by the number of periods in a year. For example, if the annual interest rate is 6% and the payments are made weekly, then the interest rate (r) would be 0.06 / 52 = 0.0011538.

3. Do I need to consider any other factors when calculating the weekly payment for a general annuity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the weekly payment for a general annuity, such as the length of the annuity, the compounding frequency, and any fees or taxes associated with the annuity. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating the weekly payment.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate weekly payments for any general annuity with a future value of 10,000?

Yes, the formula can be used for any general annuity with a future value of 10,000. However, if there are any additional factors that need to be considered, such as fees or taxes, then the formula may need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the weekly payment for a general annuity with a future value of 10,000?

Yes, there are online calculators and financial software programs that can help you calculate the weekly payment for a general annuity with a future value of 10,000. These tools can also take into account any additional factors that may affect the payment amount.