Confirm: Smooth Twin Paradox Intuition

In summary, the author thinks that the more careful explanation is going to be opaque to a large section of the readership.
DaleSpam said:
There is no reason to do that. You just get that there are no timelike worldlines at rest outside that critical radius.
I'm not sure I follow DaleSpam. Perhaps the wiki article linked by Dr.Greg might put forth a common ground: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_coordinates#Transforming_to_the_Born_chart
The Born chart is restricted to the aforementioned open subset in this article as well.

Regardless, there is still the issue (at least as far as I can tell) that the chosen coordinates are not defined at ##r = 0## which is where the "stay at home" twin stays put in the scenario depicted by that diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
I'm not sure I follow DaleSpam. Perhaps the wiki article linked by Dr.Greg might put forth a common ground: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_coordinates#Transforming_to_the_Born_chart
The Born chart is restricted to the aforementioned open subset in this article as well.
Yes, I saw that, but it seems like an unnecessary restriction. Nothing pathological occurs there.
WannabeNewton said:
Regardless, there is still the issue (at least as far as I can tell) that the chosen coordinates are not defined at ##r = 0## which is where the "stay at home" twin stays put in the scenario depicted by that diagram.
Yes, that is the usual restriction for polar coordinate systems. As far as I know, you can't avoid that problem except by changing coordinates.

DaleSpam said:
Yes, that is the usual restriction for polar coordinate systems. As far as I know, you can't avoid that problem except by changing coordinates.
Right so wouldn't the Born coordinates, as written down in that wiki article, be a bad choice of coordinates for the diagram scenario in which the traveling twin is traversing a circle about the central "stay at home" twin, if our goal is to write down a time-like vector field for each twin representing their respective 4-velocities?

Agreed. The coordinates I showed don't have that problem.

DaleSpam said:
Agreed. The coordinates I showed don't have that problem.
Ah I actually missed that part of your post, I apologize. Yes in cartesian coordinates things look rather nice, with regards to the above issue, for the "stay at home" twin at the center. Looks like I can just play around with that form of the metric once I finish my late night TV shows :tongue: Cheers DaleSpam!

DaleSpam said:
Sure. Start with a standard inertial frame ...
Thanks, it's simply the orbit. Now I rememer that I posted this a couple of month ago in another thread ;-)

DrGreg said:
Actually the metric coefficients are time-independent but space-dependent, which accounts for the time dilation.
Yes, my expectation was wrong.

DaleSpam said:
But the fourth term has no such interpretation that I am aware of. It is dependent on velocity, not speed, so it is not like the usual time dilation in a static gravitational field nor is it like the usual SR time dilation. You could consider it to be a gravitational time dilation due to the "gravity" of the Coriolis force, but that seems stretching the analogy a little too far for me.
I think Coriolis force plus harmonic oscillator potential are a perfect analogy.

##d\tau^2/dt^2=1- v^2 - 2\omega\,r_\perp \times v+ \omega^2 r_\perp^2##

This is the "time-dependency" I expected. However it resides in the Coriolis force due to the off-diagonal dx*dt and dy*dt terms in the line element, not in the metric coefficients itself.

Last edited: