Equipartition Theorem and Number of Modes

In summary, the wikipedia page says that there are 6 vibrational modes for the water molecule, but classical mechanics only allows for 3 of them. The 3N-6 rule is a rough rule of thumb for larger molecules, but it doesn't always work.
Opus_723
I was looking at this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_vibration

And saw that they have six different vibrational modes listed for the water molecule. Elsewhere on they page they discuss the "3N-6" rule for determining the number of vibrational modes of a polyatomic molecule. That seems contradictory to me. There seems to be clearly six possible modes.

I tried to check around the web for an answer to the contradiction, but everything else I find only lists the first three modes (the ones pictured on the wikipedia page as "symmetrical stretching," "asymmetrical stretching," and "scissoring.") And make no mention of the other three. If you only count these three, the 3N-6 rule works, of course. But I don't see how you can simply ignore the others, particularly since "scissoring" appears to be simply "asymmetrical rocking."

Is this just a disconnect between classical and quantum mechanics? Are some of those six "modes" not actually possible, or do they just not contribute to the heat capacity for some other reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I see the contradiction: can you provide an example?

3N-6 is for normal modes of vibration
It is only a rule of thumb for larger molecules - it just kinda averages out that way to a good approximation.
Clearly the rule does not work is N<3 for example.

The wikipedia page does not mention "water".

There are 6 modes illustrated in an animation for the -CH2 group.
... suggests that you need N>3 doesn't it?

Sorry, it says -CH2 group, but if you view the Simple English version of the page it says something to the effect of "or water molecule," concerning the same diagram. I must have been looking at the other version first and not realized.

So is that the only issue? That 3N-6 is simply of rough rule of thumb for large N? Because I have seen it used all over the place to justify the water molecule only having 3 vibrational modes, as I noted above. For example, here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6KDwy4SKYpIC&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=water+molecule+3n-6+vibrational+modes&source=bl&ots=eDBY_okWsU&sig=6zMLfsoq2ihCBYAGxVggfShExWE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=viBFUrjmIqzWiAKogoHoCg&ved=0CGcQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=water%20molecule%203n-6%20vibrational%20modes&f=false

Or here:

http://www.stanford.edu/~hkulik/www/Tutorials/Entries/2011/12/27_Vibrational_properties_of_molecules.html

That wikipedia page is the only thing I can find that even acknowledges the other three modes. I've only seen 3N-6 used as an exact answer, even for small N.

The -CH3 group in the example is attached to something - which is why that group gets six modes.
If it were free, then three of the modes would become rotations: as is with water.

This is a bit late, but thanks!

Opus_723 said:
That wikipedia page is the only thing I can find that even acknowledges the other three modes. I've only seen 3N-6 used as an exact answer, even for small N.

The "6" comes form the number of motions of the molecule, considering it as a rigid object. In special cases it can be fewer than 6 - for example on your Stamford link, the CO2 molecule has 3N-5 modes, because the three atoms lie in a straight line, and if you consider them to be "points" that can move in any direction but not rotate, you can't represent the rotation of the line along its own length.

In a water molecule the 3 atoms are not in a straight line, so the 3N translations of the atoms can represent all 6 rigid body motions of the molecule.

The more atoms there are in a the molecule, the less likely it is to have any "special" geometry that changes the 6 to a smaller number.

Of course molecules with 2 atoms are a special case, because the two atoms always lie on a straight line!

What is the Equipartition Theorem and how does it relate to the number of modes?

The Equipartition Theorem is a fundamental principle in statistical mechanics that states that, in thermal equilibrium, the energy of a system is equally distributed among all of its degrees of freedom, or modes. This means that each mode will have an average energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. The number of modes, or degrees of freedom, in a system is directly related to the amount of energy it can possess.

Why is the Equipartition Theorem important in studying systems?

The Equipartition Theorem is important because it allows scientists to calculate the average energy of a system based on its temperature and number of modes. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as gases and solids, and can also be applied to more complex systems, such as molecules or atoms.

How does the number of modes affect the heat capacity of a system?

The heat capacity of a system is directly proportional to the number of modes it possesses. This means that systems with more modes will have a higher heat capacity, as they have a greater ability to store energy. Conversely, systems with fewer modes will have a lower heat capacity.

What factors can affect the number of modes in a system?

The number of modes in a system can be affected by several factors, including the number of atoms or particles in the system, the dimensions of the system, and the types of interactions between the particles. For example, a system with more atoms will have more modes, while a system with rigid bonds between atoms will have fewer modes compared to a system with flexible bonds.

Can the Equipartition Theorem be applied to all systems?

The Equipartition Theorem can be applied to systems that are in thermal equilibrium, meaning that they are at a constant temperature and have reached a state of maximum entropy. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of systems in extreme conditions, such as at very low temperatures or in highly nonlinear systems.