Conserved quantities as symmetry generators

In summary: Noether's Theorem states that if a variation on a field induces a variation in the Lagrangian, a quantity q^\mu can be constructed such that \partial_\mu q^\mu = 0. In quantum field theory, this quantity can also be used as a generator for the symmetry. To prove this, we need to show that \frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q, \phi\right] = \delta \phi. By expanding this out and using canonical commutation relations, we can see that this can be achieved if we can cancel out the last two terms in the expanded equation. This can be done by deriving the Noether current directly from the action integral and using functional derivatives.
Chopin
Suppose we have a Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L(\phi, \partial_\mu \phi)}[/itex] over a field [itex]\phi[/itex], and some variation on the field [itex]\delta \phi[/itex]. If this variation induces a variation [itex]\delta \mathcal{L} = \partial_\mu F^\mu[/itex] for some function [itex]F^\mu[/itex], then Noether's Theorem tells us that if we construct the quantity [itex]q^\mu = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi - F^\mu[/itex], then [itex]\partial_\mu q^\mu = 0[/itex].

In quantum field theory, it is apparently also the case that this quantity can be used to form a generator for the symmetry. I'd like to understand how this is so, but am having some issues proving it. Here's what I understand:

1. Since [itex]\partial_\mu q^\mu = 0[/itex], if we construct [itex]Q(t) = \int dx\:q^0(x,t)[/itex], then [itex]\frac{d}{dt}Q(t) = 0[/itex], so [itex]Q(t) = Q[/itex].

2. Showing that [itex]Q[/itex] generates the symmetry means I need to show that [itex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q, \phi\right] = \delta \phi[/itex]. Expanding that out, we have:
[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q,\phi(x,t)\right] = \frac{i}{\hbar}\int dx'\:\left[q^0(x',t), \phi(x, t)\right]\\
= \frac{i}{\hbar}\int dx'\:\left(\left[\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}(x',t),\phi(x,t)\right]\delta \phi(x',t) + \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}(x',t)\left[\delta\phi(x',t),\phi(x,t)\right] - \left[F^0(x',t), \phi(x, t)\right]\right)[/tex]

3. Now we impose the canonical commutation relations [itex]\left[\phi(x, t), \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0\phi)}(x',t)\right] = i\hbar\delta(x'-x)[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q,\phi(x,t)\right] = \delta \phi(x,t) + \frac{i}{\hbar}\int dx'\:\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}\left[\delta\phi(x',t),\phi(x,t)\right] - \left[F^0(x',t), \phi(x, t)\right]\right)[/tex]

The first term is exactly what I want. Therefore, I need to somehow get the last two terms to cancel, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this. Can anybody illustrate how I can make this cancellation happen?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chopin said:
Suppose we have a Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L(\phi, \partial_\mu \phi)}[/itex] over a field [itex]\phi[/itex], and some variation on the field [itex]\delta \phi[/itex]. If this variation induces a variation [itex]\delta \mathcal{L} = \partial_\mu F^\mu[/itex] for some function [itex]F^\mu[/itex], then Noether's Theorem tells us that if we construct the quantity [itex]q^\mu = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi - F^\mu[/itex], then [itex]\partial_\mu q^\mu = 0[/itex].

In quantum field theory, it is apparently also the case that this quantity can be used to form a generator for the symmetry. I'd like to understand how this is so, but am having some issues proving it. Here's what I understand:

1. Since [itex]\partial_\mu q^\mu = 0[/itex], if we construct [itex]Q(t) = \int dx\:q^0(x,t)[/itex], then [itex]\frac{d}{dt}Q(t) = 0[/itex], so [itex]Q(t) = Q[/itex].

2. Showing that [itex]Q[/itex] generates the symmetry means I need to show that [itex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q, \phi\right] = \delta \phi[/itex]. Expanding that out, we have:
[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q,\phi(x,t)\right] = \frac{i}{\hbar}\int dx'\:\left[q^0(x',t), \phi(x, t)\right]\\
= \frac{i}{\hbar}\int dx'\:\left(\left[\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}(x',t),\phi(x,t)\right]\delta \phi(x',t) + \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}(x',t)\left[\delta\phi(x',t),\phi(x,t)\right] - \left[F^0(x',t), \phi(x, t)\right]\right)[/tex]

3. Now we impose the canonical commutation relations [itex]\left[\phi(x, t), \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0\phi)}(x',t)\right] = i\hbar\delta(x'-x)[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[Q,\phi(x,t)\right] = \delta \phi(x,t) + \frac{i}{\hbar}\int dx'\:\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_0 \phi)}\left[\delta\phi(x',t),\phi(x,t)\right] - \left[F^0(x',t), \phi(x, t)\right]\right)[/tex]

The first term is exactly what I want. Therefore, I need to somehow get the last two terms to cancel, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this. Can anybody illustrate how I can make this cancellation happen?

Obviously, if you don’t have an explicit expression for [itex]F^{ \mu }[/itex], you will not be able to find it’s commutator with [itex]\phi[/itex]. But, if you can derive the Noether current directly from the action integral, you find that
[tex]F^{ \mu } = - \mathcal{L} \delta x^{ \mu } .[/tex]
So, you will have
[tex]-[ F^{ 0 } ( t , y ) \ , \ \phi ( t , x ) ] = \delta x^{ 0 } [ \mathcal{ L } ( t , y ) \ , \ \phi ( t , x ) ] . \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
Now, the local density
[tex]\mathcal{L} ( y ) = \mathcal{L} ( \phi , \dot{ \phi } , \nabla \phi ) ,[/tex]
depends on the conjugate field [itex]\pi ( x )[/itex] only through the “velocity” [itex]\partial_{ 0 } \phi ( y )[/itex]. So, we can calculate the following “functional” derivative
[tex]\frac{ \delta \mathcal{L} ( y ) }{ \delta \pi ( x ) } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} ( y ) }{ \partial \dot{ \phi } ( y ) } \frac{ \delta \dot{ \phi } ( y ) }{ \delta \pi ( x ) } = \pi ( y ) \ \frac{ \delta \dot{ \phi } ( y ) }{ \delta \pi ( x ) } .[/tex]
In bracket language, this simply means
[tex][ \mathcal{ L } ( t , y ) \ , \ \phi ( t , x ) ] = \pi ( y ) \ [ \dot{ \phi } ( t , y ) , \phi ( t , x ) ] . \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
Ok, we haven’t finished yet. Now, use
[tex]\delta \phi = \bar{ \delta } \phi - \delta x^{ \mu } \partial_{ \mu } \phi ,[/tex]
where
[tex]\bar{ \delta } \phi_{ a } ( x ) = \bar{ \phi }_{ a } ( \bar{ x } ) - \phi_{ a } ( x ) = J_{ a b } \phi_{ b } ( x ) ,[/tex]
and [itex]J_{ a b }[/itex] are constant transformation matrices. So, now we have
[tex][ \delta \phi ( t , y ) \ , \ \phi ( t , x ) ] = - \delta x^{ 0 } [ \dot{ \phi } ( t , y ) \ , \ \phi ( t , x ) ] . \ \ \ (3)[/tex]
Substitute (1), (2) and (3) in your last equation and get
[tex]\delta \phi ( x ) = [ i Q \ , \ \phi (x) ] .[/tex]

Sam

Last edited:

What are conserved quantities?

Conserved quantities refer to physical properties or values that remain constant throughout a physical process or system. These can include quantities such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

What is the relationship between conserved quantities and symmetry generators?

Conserved quantities and symmetry generators are closely related because symmetry generators, such as translations, rotations, and reflections, are responsible for conserving certain physical quantities. For example, the symmetry of translation leads to the conservation of momentum, while the symmetry of rotation leads to the conservation of angular momentum.

Why are conserved quantities important in physics?

Conserved quantities are important in physics because they provide a fundamental understanding of physical processes and systems. They allow us to make predictions and calculate the behavior of systems, and they also help us identify fundamental principles and laws in physics, such as the law of conservation of energy.

How do conserved quantities relate to the laws of physics?

Conserved quantities are closely related to the laws of physics, as the laws of physics are based on the principles of conservation. For example, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed, which is reflected in the conserved quantity of energy.

Can conserved quantities change?

In isolated systems with no external forces or interactions, conserved quantities cannot change. However, in open systems where there are external forces or interactions, conserved quantities can change due to the transfer or exchange of energy or momentum. This is known as non-conservative behavior.