Multiple diode circuit analysis

In summary,It is well known that in order to solve diode circuits we must assume state of diodes, replace diodes with appropriate model (0.7V voltage drop) and solve circuit. Then we check result and if it agrees with initial assumption, we successfully solved our circuit.If we mark number of diodes in circuit with n, there will be 2^n possible combinations of diode states. What to do in situation with 5 diodes, for example? You would agree that it will be quite impossible to check all combinations.I was trying to find easiest way to solve multiple diodes circuits so I came up with this idea: I assume that all d
etf
It is well known that in order to solve diode circuits we must assume state of diodes, replace diodes with appropriate model (0.7V voltage drop) and solve circuit. Then we check result and if it agrees with initial assumption, we successfully solved our circuit.
If we mark number of diodes in circuit with n, there will be 2^n possible combinations of diode states. What to do in situation with 5 diodes, for example? You will agree that it will be quite impossible to check all combinations.
I was trying to find easiest way to solve multiple diodes circuits so I came up with this idea: I assume that all diodes in circuit are conducting so I replace all of them with 0.7V voltage drop and solve that circuit. Then I form another circuit which consist of 0.7V voltage drops instead of diodes for which I proved that conduct in previous step and open circuit for diodes I proved that doesn't conduct in previous step. Then I solve that circuit. Does my idea make sense? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure.

And if your second circuit doesn't work out, create a third with corrections based on what you discovered in the second. Continue until you have a solution - but watch what you are doing.

--- Edit to replace the problem case --

as long as you're dealing with passive circuits, I can't find a problem case that's any worse than trying all combinations.

Clearly, if you end up going back and forth between two combinations, you need to replace your simple 0.7V or nothing with a different model.

Last edited:
I thought that second step would be last step and there will be no more solutions since I found right diode states in first step. I will analyse your example. Thanks for reply!

I will upload one example which I solved to ilustrate my method.

WP_000995.jpg

You can see here that everything is completed in second step.

You need to check the results after the second step.
There are cases where they won't check. For example, in the circuit below, you would conclude that the diodes are both off. But on checking you would turn one of them back on again. In fact, they're probably both partially on.

----- Edit to provide a better example.
Code:
           ┌──Diode──┬──Diode──┐
+1V ──1KΩ──┤         │         ├─ Gnd
           └───1MΩ───┴──100KΩ──┘

Last edited:

1. What is a multiple diode circuit?

A multiple diode circuit is a circuit that contains more than one diode, which is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current.

2. How do I analyze a multiple diode circuit?

To analyze a multiple diode circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's circuit laws and Ohm's law to calculate the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You can also use circuit analysis techniques such as nodal analysis or mesh analysis to solve for unknown values.

3. What is the purpose of using multiple diodes in a circuit?

Multiple diodes are often used in circuits to control the flow of current and to protect other components from excessive voltage. They can also be used to convert AC current to DC current, or to regulate the voltage in a circuit.

4. What factors affect the performance of a multiple diode circuit?

The performance of a multiple diode circuit can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the diodes used, the voltage and current levels in the circuit, and the temperature. The design and layout of the circuit can also impact its performance.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with a multiple diode circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with a multiple diode circuit, you can use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You can also check for any loose connections or damaged components. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to redesign the circuit or replace faulty components.