Is There a Connection Between Inequality and the Unit Disc?

In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality |(z/λ) + 1 - (1/λ)| < 1 if and only if λ ≥ 1. The direction of λ > 1 is easily proved, but there was confusion about the other direction. The OP originally stated that for z = 1, the expression is equal to 1, but this was clarified to be incorrect. The correct statement is that λ ≥ 1 is a condition for the inequality to hold for all z in the disc. The conversation also includes a discussion about how |a| < 1 and a^2 + b^2 < 1 can be used to show that 2a(λ-1) < 2
Likemath2014
hi there,

I am trying to prove the following inequality:
let [tex]z\in \mathbb{D}[/tex] then

[tex]\left| \frac{z}{\lambda} +1-\frac{1}{\lambda}\right|<1[/tex] if and only if [tex]\lambda\geq1.[/tex]

The direction if [tex]\lambda>1[/tex] is pretty easy, but I am wondering about the other direction.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to clarify. For z = 1, the expression = 1, independent of λ.

In fact [tex]z[/tex] is inside the disc that means [tex]|z|<1[/tex].

z = a+bi. Restate question. |a+bi+λ-1|2 < λ2
L.H.S. = (a+λ-1)2+b2=|z|2+2a(λ-1)+(λ-1)2<1+2(λ-1)+(λ-1)22

Likes 1 person
thank, but how could that imply that lambda is bigger than one? On the other hand how did you get the last inequality, why you consider a is positive?

If z=0 and lamda=0.9999 then the LHS ~ 0.0001

Likemath2014 said:
thank, but how could that imply that lambda is bigger than one? On the other hand how did you get the last inequality, why you consider a is positive?

2a(λ-1) < 2(λ-1) requires λ > 1 for a > 0. Also |a| < 1

The statement the OP is trying to prove is not true. See #6. z=0 and lamda = 0.9999 is a counterexample.

FactChecker said:
The statement the OP is trying to prove is not true. See #6. z=0 and lamda = 0.9999 is a counterexample.

Your counterexample is wrong. λ ≥ 1 is a condition.

mathman said:
Your counterexample is wrong. λ ≥ 1 is a condition.
The OP said "If and only if". lambda is less than 1 but the equation is much less than 1 (nearly 0)

FactChecker said:
The OP said "If and only if". lambda is less than 1 but the equation is much less than 1 (nearly 0)

You misread the op. λ≥1 is the condition. For λ < 1 the expression does not hold for all z, with |z| < 1.

Maybe it was not clear in the question that the inequality is for all z in the disc, that was my fault, I am sorry. Thank you very much mathman for the solution.

Likemath2014 said:
Maybe it was not clear in the question that the inequality is for all z in the disc, that was my fault, I am sorry. Thank you very much mathman for the solution.
Oh. Well, that's different. Never mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

mathman said:
2a(λ-1) < 2(λ-1) requires λ > 1 for a > 0. Also |a| < 1

I thought I got it, but it seems not yet :confused:.

We will start like that,
let
[tex]|z+\lambda-1|^2 <|\lambda|^2[/tex], fro all z in the disc. Let [tex]z=a+ib[/tex], hence

[tex]a^2+b^2+2a(\lambda-1)+(\lambda-1)^2<\lambda^2.[/tex]
How could that mean 2a(λ-1) < 2(λ-1)?
Thx.

Since [itex]a^2+b^2 < 1, |a| < 1[/itex]

How could that help :redface:.

Likemath2014 said:
How could that help :redface:.

Grade school arithmetic! If [itex]|a| \ge 1[/itex], then [itex] a^2 \ge |a| \ge 1 [/itex] contradicting [itex] a^2 + b^2 < 1 [/itex]

of course that is a grade school arithmetic, but it was not my question.

My question is:

how
[tex] a^2+b^2 +2a( \lambda -1)+(
\lambda-1)^2\leq\lambda^2[/tex]

implies

2a(λ-1) < 2(λ-1)?

Likemath2014 said:
of course that is a grade school arithmetic, but it was not my question.

My question is:

how
[tex] a^2+b^2 +2a( \lambda -1)+(
\lambda-1)^2\leq\lambda^2[/tex]

implies

2a(λ-1) < 2(λ-1)?
By itself it doesn't. |z| < 1 is the needed condition.

Yes, the question is how is that?

1. What is the unit disc and how is it related to inequality?

The unit disc is a two-dimensional geometric figure with a radius of 1 and centered at the origin. Inequality in the unit disc refers to the unequal distribution of points within the disc, based on certain criteria such as distance from the origin.

2. How is inequality measured in the unit disc?

Inequality in the unit disc can be measured using various methods, but one commonly used measure is the Gini coefficient. This coefficient ranges from 0 (indicating perfect equality) to 1 (indicating maximum inequality).

3. What factors contribute to inequality in the unit disc?

The distribution of points in the unit disc can be affected by a variety of factors, including the chosen criteria for measurement, the shape and size of the disc, and the positioning of the points within the disc.

4. How does inequality in the unit disc relate to other areas of research?

Inequality in the unit disc is a topic of interest in various fields, such as mathematics, economics, and social sciences. It can also be related to studies on spatial patterns, clustering, and distribution of resources.

5. Can inequality in the unit disc be reduced or eliminated?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate inequality in the unit disc, it can be reduced by implementing measures such as redistribution of points, changing the criteria for measurement, or altering the shape and size of the disc.