Most Powerful Lasers: Where to Find Them?

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lasers
In summary, there are several powerful laser systems in the world currently, including the megawatt class laser systems from Boeing and the Petawatt class laser at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's National Ignition Facility (NIF). The NIF laser has a power of about 3 TW and can only fire a few times a day, while the previous Petawatt class laser at LLNL was shut down in 1999. It is possible that NIF will have a Petawatt class laser when it is fully operational. However, it is unclear if these lasers could be used to write on the moon or create images.
EL
Science Advisor
I'd like to know where I can find the most powerful laser systems in the world right now. Anyone who's into this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends a little on what type of laser you're asking about, but the http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/abl/flash.html [Broken] and related systems are megawatt class lasers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, interesting. What I'm most interested in is high power lasers (peta watt regime) and high frequency lasers. In fact I want to find a laser with as high (power*frequency) as possible...

I believe that the National Ignition Facility (NIF) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has a Petawatt class laser for it's fusion experiments. Lawrence Livermore had another one before that was shut down in the late 90s. I believe that when dealing with this class of lasers that the duty cycle is probably fairly long and that the laser doesn't fire with very high frequency. I could be wrong though.

Could we use any of these lasers to write our name on the moon? Perhaps give the moon the face of a beautiful woman?

LLNL had a Petawatt class laser that they shut down in 1999. I am under the impression that NIF would be at or near Petawatt class when it is done, but it could be the total of the 192 beam lines that gives that power.

1. What is the most powerful laser currently in existence?

The most powerful laser currently in existence is the Extreme Light Infrastructure (ELI) Beamlines laser in the Czech Republic, which has a peak power of 10 petawatts (10,000 trillion watts).

2. How does the power of a laser affect its capabilities?

The power of a laser directly affects its capabilities, as a higher power laser can produce more intense beams and have a wider range of applications. It can also allow for more precise and controlled interactions with materials.

3. Where are most powerful lasers typically used?

Most powerful lasers are typically used in scientific research facilities, such as national laboratories or universities. They are also used in industrial and military applications, such as cutting and welding materials or in missile defense systems.

4. What are the potential dangers of working with powerful lasers?

Working with powerful lasers can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. Direct exposure to the laser beam can cause serious eye damage, and the intense heat from the beam can also be a fire hazard. It is important for individuals working with powerful lasers to have proper training and follow safety protocols.

5. Are there any limits to the power of lasers?

There are currently no known limits to the power of lasers, as technology and research continue to advance. However, there are practical limitations in terms of cost, size, and the materials that can withstand the intense heat and energy produced by powerful lasers.