Why is it not possible to see the interference pattern of white light

In summary: But with visible light, you can only see the interference pattern if you have a special device to look at it.
5ymmetrica1
'The colour seen when white light is used as a source for a Young’s double slit experiment are sometimes mistaken for the spectrum of visible light.'
Why is this not possible with a two slit interference pattern?

I know that the different wavelengths will all cause interference with each other, but is there a better explanation than this?

Science news on Phys.org
5ymmetrica1 said:
'The colour seen when white light is used as a source for a Young’s double slit experiment are sometimes mistaken for the spectrum of visible light.'

I know that the different wavelengths will all cause interference with each other, but is there a better explanation than this?

Because there are so many different wavelengths in white light that the interference pattern from each wavelength overlaps each other and washes out.

Zz.

Deleted following insulting reply.

Last edited:
technician said:
It is correct that white light consists of arrange of colours (wavelengths) but it is perfectly straightforward to produce 2slit interference pattern the fringes obtained are essentially white but 'blue' can be seen at the 'inner' edge of the fringes and 'red' can be seen at the outer edge. This is a standard demonstration at A level and details are given in A level textbooks.

That's sad, considering how easy and cheap it is nowadays to obtain a laser pointer with a good-enough monochromatic light source.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That's sad, considering how easy and cheap it is nowadays to obtain a laser pointer with a good-enough monochromatic light source.

Zz.

This is an insulting comment.. I have reported it and I have deleted my response.

Last edited:
technician said:
This is an insulting comment.. I have reported it and I have deleted my response.

Not sure what is "insulting" about that. You obviously read WAY differently than what I wrote.

The "sad" comment was directed at the situation, i.e. that one had to use a white light to demonstrate interference effects, rather than obtaining a simple, cheap, monochromatic light source. You appear to interpret it as being directed at your comment.

Zz.

5ymmetrica1 said:

It is possible to see the pattern for white light with 2 slits...we did it at school using car head lamp bulbs.

1. Why is white light not suitable for producing an interference pattern?

White light is composed of multiple wavelengths of light, each with different frequencies. When white light passes through a diffraction grating or slits, the different wavelengths are diffracted at different angles, causing the interference pattern to be washed out and not visible.

2. Can any type of light produce an interference pattern?

No, only monochromatic (single-wavelength) light can produce a visible interference pattern. This is because the light waves must have a constant phase relationship in order to interfere constructively or destructively.

3. Why is it important for light to have a constant phase relationship for interference to occur?

In order for interference to occur, the peaks and troughs of the light waves must align. If the light waves have different phases, they will not align and will not produce a visible interference pattern.

4. Can white light produce an interference pattern under any circumstances?

Yes, under certain conditions, such as in a Michelson interferometer, white light can produce an interference pattern. This is because the light waves travel equal distances and maintain their phase relationship, resulting in interference.

5. Is it possible to see an interference pattern with only one color of light?

Yes, an interference pattern can be produced with only one color of light, as long as it is a monochromatic light source. This is because the light waves have a constant phase relationship and can interfere with each other.