What is the spring constant for a given set of scale readings and x coordinates?

In summary: You are taking the change in force, which is 0.15 N, and dividing it by the change in length, which is 0.05 m. This gives you a spring constant of 3 N/m. In summary, to determine the spring constant, you need to find the change in force and the change in length and use the formula k=-F/x. In this case, the spring constant is 3 N/m based on the given data.
Oo360oO

Homework Statement

determine the spring constant state results in SI units.

here is the chart. this isn't making sense to me.

Scale Reading vs x coordinate
1.05 N--55 cm
.75 N---45 cm
.90 N--50 cm
1.35 N--65 cm
1.20 N--60 cm
.6 N--40 cm

thats all the info i have. I'm just not getting a solid answer

Homework Equations

k=-F/x

The Attempt at a Solution

i've attempted many different times, each time coming up with a different spring constant ranging from -3.86 to 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
To determine the spring constant, you need to find out by how much increases the force exerted by the spring, if you stretch it by a certain length. By the formula, we see that the force increases linearly, so only two measurements are enough to find out the spring constant.

kbaumen said:
To determine the spring constant, you need to find out by how much increases the force exerted by the spring, if you stretch it by a certain length. By the formula, we see that the force increases linearly, so only two measurements are enough to find out the spring constant.

ya I'm not really sure what your trying to say there...can you clarify what you mean by "you need to find out by how much increases the force exerted"?

i assure you this is all the info i have

Oo360oO said:
ya I'm not really sure what your trying to say there...can you clarify what you mean by "you need to find out by how much increases the force exerted"?

It really is enough info. Do you know what F, k and x are in the equation you've mentioned?

Oo360oO said:

you need to find out by how much increases the force exerted means that if you stretch the spring (pull it, increase it's length) then it's trying to reset the original length, therefore pulling its ends with a certain force.

What the formula means is;

The Force applied to something = Spring constant * The change in length (when that force is applied)

You have the force applied, you have the change in length, just bash it into your calculator, if your still struggling show us your working

Why are you so sure you don't have the right answer already? What methods are you using to determine different answers?

so is it just 3 N/m?

or do i not take the change in force?

(1.05 N-.9 N)/(.55-.50 m)

edit:i don't think I'm doing right because I'm getting different answers on this website everytime
http://www.calculatoredge.com/new/hookelaw.htm

Oo360oO said:
so is it just 3 N/m?

or do i not take the change in force?

(1.05 N-.9 N)/(.55-.50 m)

edit:i don't think I'm doing right because I'm getting different answers on this website everytime
http://www.calculatoredge.com/new/hookelaw.htm

Looks correct to me.

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, or how much force is required to stretch or compress it by a certain distance.

2. How do you determine the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This is also known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

3. What units is spring constant measured in?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is measured in pounds per inch (lb/in).

4. Can spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on various factors such as the material of the spring, its dimensions, and the temperature. For example, a spring made of a stiffer material will have a higher spring constant compared to a spring made of a more flexible material.

5. Why is determining spring constant important?

Determining spring constant is important in various scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to predict the behavior of a spring and its response to different forces. It is also essential in designing and constructing devices that use springs, such as suspension systems, shock absorbers, and mechanical watches.