My Fixing Escapade: Troubleshooting a Fan and TV

• Thread starter Inquiring_Mike
  • Start date
In summary: When you take the TV apart, be very careful not to damage the vacuum seal on the front of the TV. There are tiny little valves that open and close to maintain the vacuum and without them the TV will not work. If you break one of these valves, the TV will not only not work, it will explode. In summary, take things slowly and be very careful when working with electrical things. If you know somebody who is experienced, ask them for help.
Inquiring_Mike
My 'fixing' escapade...

Hey,
When I recently came home to my parents house, I found a fan and an old t.v. that "do not work". I have taken apart the fan, with nothing to show for it. Its one of those stand-up fans... The "switchboard" where the fan settings are looks to be fine, the connections seem to be clean.. The extension cord looks good as well. The "guide" (determines how far the fan goes either way) seems to be fine as well... It doesn't have any electrical parts so that shouldn't be the problem anyway.. The only thing left is the part where the vacuum or whatever is created... Any ideas??

My question about the t.v. is if I can open it up? I heard that t.v.'s can be dangerous, probably due to the capacitors and such.. But this t.v. has been sitting around in the attic for more than a year now...

Thanks for any info!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Mike, It's good that you're curious and want to start taking things apart to see how they work, and maybe even fix a few broken things along the way. But you definitely need to be careful as you start working with electrical things. If you know somebody who is experienced with electrical and electronic things, it's best to ask them for help and tips as you get started. For example, with a DVM (digital voltmeter), you would be able to diagnose the broken fan fairly quickly, and determine if it would be easy or hard to fix.

The TV is especially dangerous for two reasons. First, TVs use a non-grounded power cord, so there is no ground reference inside in the metal chassis and circuitry areas. Most TVs use Neutral as the "chassis ground", and Neutral can have plenty of AC voltage on it with respect to external ground references. So you can shock yourself badly (and even die), and you can blow up expensive test equipment if you try to work on an open, powered TV without using an Isolation Transformer. Even if you don't power it up, the high voltage that is under the rubber button on the CRT (where the flyback transformer high voltage wire goes into the picture tube) can stay there for a long time. I don't think there will be any high voltage left there after years of storage, but certainly days or weeks after being turned off, there can still be part of that 23kV left inside the tube. As long as you don't plug the TV in, it should be relatively safe to take apart and look around.

What grade are you in? It sounds like you would enjoy some engineering-type classes, if they are available to you. -MikeB-

One of the most important things not yet mentioned with the TV is the tube itself. It is under a very high vacuum and if broken will implode sending glass flying everywhere. I shot at an old disgarded TV once with a .22 revolver to see what would happen. Yes I was at a safe distance and yes it imploded, not just shattered, you could hear the whooooomp.

1. How do I troubleshoot a fan that won't turn on?

To troubleshoot a fan that won't turn on, start by checking the power source. Make sure the fan is plugged in and the outlet is working. If the power source is not the issue, then check the fan's fuse or circuit breaker. If those are intact, then the issue may be with the fan's motor or wiring. It may be best to consult a professional for further assistance.

2. What should I do if my fan is making strange noises?

If your fan is making unusual noises, the first step is to clean the fan and its blades. Dust and debris can cause the fan to make loud or rattling noises. If cleaning doesn't solve the issue, then check for any loose or damaged parts that may need to be replaced. If the problem persists, it may be best to replace the fan altogether.

3. How can I fix a TV with no picture?

If your TV has no picture, start by checking the cable or satellite box to make sure it is turned on and connected properly to the TV. If that doesn't solve the issue, then check the TV's input settings to make sure they are correct. If the problem persists, the issue may be with the TV's internal components and it may need to be repaired or replaced.

4. Why is my TV remote not working?

If your TV remote is not working, the first step is to check the batteries. If the batteries are still good, then try cleaning the remote's infrared sensor and the TV's sensor. If that doesn't work, try resetting the remote or replacing it altogether.

5. What should I do if my TV is turning off by itself?

If your TV is turning off by itself, first check the sleep timer setting. If that is not the issue, then make sure the TV's power cord is securely plugged in. If the problem continues, there may be an issue with the TV's power supply and it may need to be repaired by a professional.