Aerospace: Physics or Mechanical Engineering

In summary: Or, is there anything else you would like to add?Aerosmithy is huge and has many different aspects. Aerospace engineers design, build, maintain, and operate aircraft and spacecraft. They may also work on projects related to rockets, satellites, and ground vehicles.
symmet
I have been thinking about going into the aerospace industry and was wondering if a physics degree or a mechanical engineering degree would be more beneficial? Or, what are the pros and cons of having either of them and going into that industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
symmet said:
I have been thinking about going into the aerospace industry and was wondering if a physics degree or a mechanical engineering degree would be more beneficial? Or, what are the pros and cons of having either of them and going into that industry?

Honestly, I would think an ME degree would be more beneficial for the aerospace industry than a physics degree. How about aerospace engineering?

However, the aerospace industry does hire physicists, of course. But the typical physics curriculum does not cover things like aerodynamics and fluid mechanics very much.

However, with a physics degree you show that you are capable of learning these things.

I would also lean ME.

If you are leaning towards graduate study in aero after your undergrad, ME was the much more common background for the aerospace graduates students that I knew while I was in grad school. As an aside note, the aerospace engineering grad students I knew also were not well-supported by the department financially (while those in Chem E, EE, and ME etc. were -- not sure on civil), so if you are thinking about grad school, that will be something to consider. I know that their studies were often prolonged (I know one currently in his 8th year, which was not considered uncommon) because they couldn't concentrate on research 24-7, since they usually needed a way to support themselves if they weren't taking out huge student loans. It COULD just be the particular program (and the high competiveness to get into it in the first place), but it will be something you should definitely ask about when you are applying to programs if you decide to go that route.

Others can inform you better about aerospace engineering careers straight out of undergrad... or where there may be aerospace undergrad programs.

Good luck!

My degree is in physics and I work in aerospace. We hire a lot (a whole lot) more MEs than physicists. 20:1 ratio, to be precise (it's a small company; I am the one). My advice in a nutshell:
  • If you plan on just an undergraduate degree, go with the ME. Undergraduate degrees are a dime a dozen. You need something to open the door. Most companies don't want to bother with the extra training needed to bring someone with just a BS, non ME/Aero BS to boot, up to speed.
  • If you plan on getting a graduate degree, think about getting your undergraduate degree in physics, graduate degree in ME/Aero. A bachelors degree in physics gives a very solid basis for advanced technical work, better than any other engineering degree IMHO. On the other hand, a masters in physics isn't of much use in our industry: Wrong focus. Aerospace uses 300 year old physics plus a lot of new-fangled engineering; both are orthogonal to most of what is studied in graduate-level physics.

Edited to add
Whichever way you decide to lean, please take some computer science beyond the intro level. Many different jobs in aerospace require some amount of computer programming. Most physicists and mechanical engineers that I know do program occasionally and they do it quite badly.

Last edited:
I'm currently a physics major, but I don't really like the outlook of my degree plan. I got to University of Texas at Dallas. I've been looking at University of Texas at Arlington's Aerospace/ME graduate studies. One thing they said on their website was: "All entering students must be proficient in mathematics, engineering analysis, and computer programming." I was thinking about getting my bachelors in Software Engineering here at UTD and then going to UTA for grad school. Would Software Engineering be a good base? Here's the degree plan if anyone wants to take a quick look: http://www.utdallas.edu/student/catalog/ugcurrent/ugprograms/ecs-se.html

Thanks a lot everyone, all the feedback is really helping.

While most of the physicists and engineers I know make bad programmers, most of the software engineers I know make even worst aerospace engineers.

The programming in aerospace is mostly done to solve some problem in aerospace. Knowing the subject matter well is more important than knowing how to program properly.

A dual degree in physics and software engineering ... now that would make a fantastic base.

Edited to add

Aerospace engineering is a huge subject area. Just to rattle a few subtopics of interest off the top of my head: avionics; sensor technology; propulsion; trajectory planning; guidance, navigation, and control; structures; aerodynamics; environmental control; power systems; human factors; ... There is absolutely no way anyone person can comprehend the entire gamut of aerospace engineering.

To avoid giving you potentially ill-advised advice, could you state what aspects of aerospace are you interested in?

Last edited:
Aerodynamics was the main draw for me into aerospace engineering. Lately I have been becoming interested in Unmanned Ariel Vehicles and the computer systems in those. That's kind of where I thought the SE would come into play.

I think the reason I'm shying away from physics is because I expected more on aerodynamics. But looking at my future courses I'm seeing Optics, Quantum mechanics, Subnuclear particles, and just things I'm really not interested in.

If I were you, I'd finish the physics degree and then apply for a masters program in aeronautical engineering. If you just get a BSME, you are not going to be doing anything in aerodynamics anyway since that is generally reserved for people with advanced degrees.

I'm really nowhere close to finishing the physics degree and I have no interest to. I have about two years left and all the credits that I have accumulated will transfer seamlessly to an engineering degree. Also, I'm not planning on just getting a bachelors.

Oh and to clarify, by SE I meant Software Engineering, in case there was any confusion.

I would agree with DH, if you want to make a living devloping code then SE would be a good degree but if your going to grad school, I don't see SE as being a very good base. Its easy to learn to program, and once you do it awhile you'll become better and better.

...Unmanned Ariel Vehicles and the computer systems in those
Perhaps computer engineering would be a better base for you for grad school.

Would a bachelors in Electrical Engineering be a good base for Aerospace grad school?

ME would probably be better.

The reason that I haven't really mentioned a bachelors in ME is because my school doesn't offer it and because of lots of complicated factors transferring schools for my undergrad wouldn't work out very well.

Crossroads: Aerospace

Hi guys,

Was browsing and came upon this same question that I am facing.

I am beginning to get really interested and excited about getting into the aerospace industry, with all the excitement about space tourism and and manned missions and stuff.

The question is how?

Some background: I did my undergrad in physics (particle physics), worked a year in a quantum information lab, started phd in physics (wanting to do cosmology/gravity/astroparticle etc). But in the end had to give up cos of the difficult career prospects (financial mainly and other reasons) in fundamental research, but am still really really interested in science and stuff. In the end, I ended up with a masters degree and is working in a consultancy firm (sales and marketing consulting in pharmacuetical). Not sure why I ended up here, but I'm not excited or interested in staying on here.

Any advice on what options are available? Any good job sites? Recommendations on companies?

How hard is it to get into a aerospace phd/masters with my background? Or do I need that in the first place? i read that companies employ 1:20 physics majors vs engineering.

Alternative is to stick around in consulting, and get MBA and then switch to aeorspace after, though this would be business aspects rather than hard-core science.

advice much appreciated! thanks!

hai guys
iam a graduate of bachelor in physics and masters in computer may i know any opportunity for programming physics application in any research or aerospace...help me.reply to my mail.(thamsg@gmail.com)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between aerospace physics and mechanical engineering in the field of aerospace?

Aerospace physics is the study of the physical principles and phenomena that govern the behavior of objects in the Earth's atmosphere and in space. It involves understanding concepts such as aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, involves the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, including those used in aerospace technology. While both fields are important in the aerospace industry, aerospace physics focuses more on the theoretical aspects, while mechanical engineering focuses more on the practical application and design of aerospace technology.

2. Can someone with a background in physics pursue a career in aerospace engineering?

Yes, a person with a background in physics can definitely pursue a career in aerospace engineering. In fact, many aerospace engineers have a degree in physics as it provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of motion, forces, and energy that are essential in the field of aerospace. However, they may need to gain additional knowledge and skills in areas such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and structural analysis to be successful in the field.

3. What type of mathematics is involved in aerospace physics and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace physics and mechanical engineering both involve a significant amount of mathematics. This includes calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and advanced mathematical methods such as vector calculus and tensor analysis. These mathematical tools are used to solve complex problems in areas such as aerodynamics, structural analysis, and orbital mechanics.

4. What are some common career paths for someone with a degree in aerospace physics or mechanical engineering?

Some common career paths for individuals with a degree in aerospace physics or mechanical engineering include aerospace engineer, aircraft designer, propulsion engineer, systems engineer, and research scientist. They may also work in fields related to aerospace, such as defense, space exploration, and aviation.

5. What are some current advancements and challenges in the field of aerospace physics and mechanical engineering?

Some current advancements in the field of aerospace physics and mechanical engineering include the development of more efficient and sustainable aircraft designs, advancements in space exploration technology, and the use of artificial intelligence and automation in aerospace systems. Some challenges in the field include reducing the environmental impact of air travel, ensuring the safety and reliability of aerospace technology, and addressing the growing demand for air transportation.