Optics: Real vs Virtual Images

In summary, the difference between real and virtual images can be seen in the formation of the image. A real image is formed when light rays reflect off the surface and converge to one point, while a virtual image is formed when the rays do not converge but can be traced back to a point on the other side of the mirror. A real image can be seen on a screen while a virtual image cannot. Both types of images can be produced by a concave mirror, depending on the distance of the object. Flat mirrors create virtual images, while a convex mirror will always produce a virtual image. A physical intuition of real and virtual images may take time to develop, but can be aided by visual aids and experiments.
Gale
Hi,

So, I'm confused about the difference between real and virtual images. Let's use a concave mirror for example. I understand that a real image is formed when the actual light rays reflect off the surface and converge to one point. A virtual image is formed when the rays don't themselves converge, but if you continue you them through the mirror they converge on the other side. So, its said that the real image could be seen on a screen, whereas the virtual could not. So, do I see the virtual image in the mirror? Can I see the real image without a screen? Can one mirror produce both types of images? I can get the answers when I do the problems, but I'm just not clear what it means.

Could someone help clarify?

Science news on Phys.org
Gale said:
So, its said that the real image could be seen on a screen, whereas the virtual could not. So, do I see the virtual image in the mirror?
Yes. Just like when you look at yourself in the bathroom mirror, you are looking at a virtual image that appears to be inside the mirror.

Can I see the real image without a screen?
Sure, depending on where you are. It will look like it's suspended in air. There's a cool toy called "the mirage" that produces a real image in the air. Check out the video: The Mirage Optical Illusion
Can one mirror produce both types of images?
A concave mirror can produce a real or virtual image, depending on how close the object is. A convex mirror will always produce a virtual image of an ordinary object.

This site might help: Ray diagrams for mirrors

I guess I get most confused when I think of a flat mirror. I feel like the image I see is virtual, because it appears in the mirror, right? But aren't all the rays parallel? I also feel like if I held up a screen I should be able to get a real image reflected from the mirror. Also, if I had a laser pointer and shined it at any mirror, I feel like I would get a real image, since I think I could hold a screen at some point and have the laser light fall on it. I feel like I just don't have a solid grasp of the real life effects of a real or virtual image. I feel confused.

I tried playing with a spoon the other day, (concave or convex mirror depending on how you hold it) and a compact mirror and I was just struggling to distinguish what's what. The diagrams make sense, since I can tell you based on the math and diagram if its a real or virtual image, and where it will be and right side up or whatnot. But if I'm just handed a mirror and try to intuitively understand, I get lost.

Gale said:
I guess I get most confused when I think of a flat mirror. I feel like the image I see is virtual, because it appears in the mirror, right?
Right.
But aren't all the rays parallel?
No. Each point on the object sends out light in all directions. See this: Image Formation in Plane Mirrors (View the animation.)

I also feel like if I held up a screen I should be able to get a real image reflected from the mirror.
Try it and see.
Also, if I had a laser pointer and shined it at any mirror, I feel like I would get a real image, since I think I could hold a screen at some point and have the laser light fall on it.
Not sure what you mean. You can certainly use a mirror to deflect the laser beam. But not sure what that has to do with images of ordinary objects.
I feel like I just don't have a solid grasp of the real life effects of a real or virtual image. I feel confused.
Don't give up. It takes time to build up a physical intuition. (It's not uncommon to be able to "solve" problems before you really understand the material. That's how you learn.)

Since this is tangentially related to this topic, which I found through google - that's why I'm resurrecting it and not making a new one - I had a question similar to the ones OP already set. Revising my knowledge on mirrors, I was looking at a spoon today, but could only get a real upside down image of my giant head. Is this due to the fact that I can't get past the focus point and still be able to see the image?

Yes. If you get very very close to the spoon (I'm assuming you're looking at the concave side), you can probably get a virtual image, but it will only show your eye. If you can see your eyebrows in the image, that will tell you whether it's upright (virtual) or inverted (real).

Thanks for the answer, I figured this would be the case, but just wanted to make sure.

What is the difference between a real and a virtual image?

A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen and is formed by the actual convergence of light rays. A virtual image, on the other hand, cannot be projected and is formed by the apparent divergence of light rays.

How can you tell if an image is real or virtual?

An image is real if it can be projected onto a screen. This means that the light rays coming from the object converge and form a real image. A virtual image, on the other hand, cannot be projected onto a screen and can only be seen by looking through the lens.

What causes the formation of a real or virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays from an object pass through a converging lens and converge at a point. A virtual image is formed when light rays from an object pass through a diverging lens and appear to originate from a point behind the lens.

Can a virtual image be magnified?

Yes, a virtual image can be magnified by using a lens with a larger focal length. The larger the focal length, the larger the virtual image will appear. However, the size of a virtual image is always smaller than the size of the object.

What are some practical applications of real and virtual images?

Real images are used in devices such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. Virtual images are used in devices such as magnifying glasses and rear-view mirrors. They are also used in virtual and augmented reality technology.