Two Boxes Friction Problem

• Thread starter CandyApples
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, it takes 706N of force to put the top suitcase into motion with respect to the bottom suitcase.
CandyApples

Homework Statement

A man is pulling two suitcases, one on top of the other. Bottom case mass=25kg and top mass = 15kg. The coefficient of friction between the two cases and between the bottom case and the floor can both be represented by Uk = .4 and Us =.5. Find the maximum acceleration of the cases so they move with respect to the floor, but not with respect to one another.

Homework Equations

F =un

The Attempt at a Solution

Fs = un for the two boxes.
Fs = .5*15
Fs = 7.5N.
This means exceeding 7.5N of force will cause the boxes to accelerate with one another. Now I need to plug this value into another equation such that I find the maximum acceleration of the two boxes. Using F=ma setting F equal to 7.5 does not work, as this gives an extremely tiny acceleration. I think another F=un is needed, but I am not sure how to set the second one up in a way that allows me to use the 7.5N I figured out before.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CandyApples said:

Homework Statement

A man is pulling two suitcases, one on top of the other. Bottom case mass=25kg and top mass = 15kg. The coefficient of friction between the two cases and between the bottom case and the floor can both be represented by Uk = .4 and Us =.5. Find the maximum acceleration of the cases so they move with respect to the floor, but not with respect to one another.

Homework Equations

F =un

The Attempt at a Solution

Fs = un for the two boxes.
Fs = .5*15
Fs = 7.5N.
This means exceeding 7.5N of force will cause the boxes to accelerate with one another. Now I need to plug this value into another equation such that I find the maximum acceleration of the two boxes. Using F=ma setting F equal to 7.5 does not work, as this gives an extremely tiny acceleration. I think another F=un is needed, but I am not sure how to set the second one up in a way that allows me to use the 7.5N I figured out before.

Is Fs the static friction in Fs = .5*15? What are the units of friction coefficient? Do dimension analysis for the equation: Fs = .5*15

Ok so now there is a part two to this problem.
I figured out Part I as follows:
Fs = .5 (147)
73.5 = 15*a
a = 4.9m/s/s

Fk = 392*.4
Fk = 156.8

F-156.8 = ma
F = 40(4.9)+157
F = 353N

Now it asks if F determined in Part I is doubled (706N) what will be the acceleration of each block. This will certainly result in the to suitcase flying off.

Plugging in 706 alone does not provide the correct answer. I think I need to account for the added information that the suitcase flies off, but I am not sure how. I forget exactly how to regard the top suitcase, as the course has not covered how to handle an object that is initially at rest then is put in motion by another object below it. If I recall correctly from a statics course taken some time ago, is the mass of the top box disregarded once it is put into motion? Also, hoe could I represent this? Does knowing that it takes 353N of force to put the top box into motion with respect to the bottom box allow me to derive an equation to figure out this problem?

1. What is the Two Boxes Friction Problem?

The Two Boxes Friction Problem is a classic physics problem that involves two boxes placed on top of each other on a horizontal surface. The top box is pushed with a certain force, causing it to slide on the bottom box. The question is whether the bottom box will move along with the top box or remain stationary due to friction.

2. What factors affect the outcome of the Two Boxes Friction Problem?

The outcome of the Two Boxes Friction Problem is affected by several factors, including the mass of the boxes, the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, and the force applied to the top box.

3. How does the coefficient of friction impact the Two Boxes Friction Problem?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the Two Boxes Friction Problem, a higher coefficient of friction means that the bottom box is more likely to stay stationary, while a lower coefficient means the bottom box is more likely to move along with the top box.

4. What is the significance of the Two Boxes Friction Problem?

The Two Boxes Friction Problem is a fundamental physics problem that helps us understand the concept of friction and how it affects the movement of objects. It is also used in real-life situations, such as designing machines and calculating the force required to move objects.

5. How can the Two Boxes Friction Problem be solved?

The Two Boxes Friction Problem can be solved using the laws of motion and the concept of friction. By calculating the forces and applying Newton's Second Law of Motion, we can determine whether the bottom box will move or remain stationary in relation to the top box.