Coefficient Of Kinetic Friction Question

In summary, the problem involves a 25 kg box sliding down a 26 degree ramp with an acceleration of 1.32 m/s2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp needs to be found. The force of kinetic friction is proportional to the normal force Fn, which is the component of the box's weight perpendicular to the slope. The force of kinetic friction is also dependent on the coefficient of friction, represented as μ. The resultant of the forces acting on the box will accelerate it down the slope, and using the equation ma=mg sin(theta)-μ mg cos(theta), the coefficient of kinetic friction can be solved for.
nintendude794

Homework Statement

A 25 kg box slides down a 26 degree ramp with an acceleration of 1.32 m/s2.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2
Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp.

Homework Equations

mass = m = 25 kg
angle = (theta) = 26 degrees
acceleration = a = 1.32 m/s2
gravity = Fg = 9.81 m/s2
coefficient of kinetic friction = Mk = Fk/Fn
Fk = resistance, friction? Force opposite Mass*Acceleration.
Fn = perpendicular to the object's motion, upward

The Attempt at a Solution

Fµ = Fn - COS26(I don't know...)

Attached is a pic of my teacher's process for solving the same problem, only with different values.

I'm clueless. Teacher said this is the toughest of the 14 problems that are due in 6 hours, so I thought I might seek assistance in learning how to do it. Please and thanks. :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
The force of kinetic friction is proportional to the normal force Fn, and its acts along the slope in opposite direction as the body moves. Fn, the normal force is the component of mg which is perpendicular to the slope,

Fn=mgcos(theta).

The force of kinetic friction is

Fk=μ mg cos(theta).

The component of mg which is parallel with the slope is

Fp=mg sin(theta),

and it points down the slope. The force of kinetic friction points in the opposite direction. The resultant of these forces will accelerate the body down the slope

ma=mg sin(theta)-μ mg cos(theta).

Given m, a, theta, g, find μ.

ehild

ehild said:
The force of kinetic friction is

Fk=μ mg cos(theta).

ehild

Here, what exactly is "μ"? What does it mean?

It is the coefficient of friction. You used the notation Mk.

ehild

ehild said:
It is the coefficient of friction. You used the notation Mk.

ehild

Thanks. This assignment was due 30 minutes ago, I accepted a zero if even only temporarily because I do not understand. I have printed it out to take it to tutorials. Thanks so much for trying to help me though. :)

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measurement of the force required to keep an object in motion on a surface, divided by the force of gravity acting on the object. It is represented by the symbol "μk" and has no units.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force. The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, and the force of kinetic friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces.

3. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect an object's motion?

The coefficient of kinetic friction affects an object's motion by determining the amount of resistance or friction that the object experiences as it moves across a surface. The higher the coefficient of kinetic friction, the more force is needed to keep the object in motion.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

There are a few factors that can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surface, and the weight and shape of the object. The coefficient of kinetic friction can also vary with temperature and the presence of lubricants.

5. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction used in practical applications?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is used in many practical applications, such as designing car tires and brakes, creating non-slip surfaces, and determining the maximum weight that can be safely transported on a flat surface. It is also used in physics and engineering calculations to analyze the motion of objects on various surfaces.