Net Forces and Tension Practice Problems

• Thread starter bulbasaur88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, someone was incorrect in their calculations and provided the same answer as was provided here.
bulbasaur88
I'm trying to improve on tension problems so I am practicing using this website: http://www.education.com/study-help/article/tension/

I am on problem 6, but I keep coming up with the wrong answers. I attempted this by trying to show the net forces for each box.

Box M net forces
T upwards
Mg downwards
F = T - Mg = Ma

Box 2M net forces
T upwards
T' downwards
***should I include the weight (2Mg) of this box?

Box 4M net forces
4Mg downwards
T' upwards
F = 4Mg - T' = 4Ma

I have a feeling there is an error in box 2M that is fudging with my results. Lastly, does T = 6Mg? Help?? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
I'm trying to improve on tension problems so I am practicing using this website: http://www.education.com/study-help/article/tension/

I am on problem 6, but I keep coming up with the wrong answers. I attempted this by trying to show the net forces for each box.

Box M net forces
T upwards
Mg downwards
F = T - Mg = Ma
yes
Box 2M net forces
T upwards
T' downwards
***should I include the weight (2Mg) of this box?
always include the weight in any free body diagram
Box 4M net forces
4Mg downwards
T' upwards
F = 4Mg - T' = 4Ma
yes
I have a feeling there is an error in box 2M that is fudging with my results. Lastly, does T = 6Mg? Help?? :confused:
yes, correct your error for the net forces acting in the FBD of the 2M block.

was my error that I didn't include the weight? or is it another entirely separate error in block 2m?

Is the equation for block 2m:

F = 2Mg + T' - T = 2Ma?

bulbasaur88 said:
Is the equation for block 2m:

F = 2Mg + T' - T = 2Ma?
yes. Now solve for T, T', and a. (Note: T is not equal to 6Mg)

I solved it and it still incorrect.

Block M
T - mg = ma <---plug in m = 1 Kg
T - 9.8 = a
T = 9.8 + a equation 1

Block 2M
T' + 2mg - T = 2ma <---Plug in m = 1 kg
T' + 2(9.8) - T = 2a
T' + 19.6 - T = 2a equation 2

Block 4M
4mg - T' = 4ma < --- plug in m = 1 kg
4(9.8) - T' = 4a
T' = 39.2 - 4a equation 3

Substitute equation 1 and equation 3 into equation 2
equation 2: T' + 19.6 - T = 2a
(39.2 - 4a) + 19.6 - (9.8 + a) = 2a
Solve for a.

a = 7 m/s^2

Correction answer is 8.6 m/s^2.

We were correct :D

The answer provided is incorrect I believe. Someone solved it out and got the same answer as I did here, http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/niedzielam/files/AP%20Review%2001%20Tension%20SOLUTIONS.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you phanthomjay *air hug*

1. What is a tension practice problem?

A tension practice problem is a scientific exercise that involves calculating the amount of force exerted on an object due to tension. It typically involves a scenario where an object is suspended by a string, cable, or other material, and the goal is to determine the tension force acting on the object.

2. Why is tension practice important in science?

Tension is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering, and understanding how to calculate and manipulate tension forces is essential for solving many real-world problems. Tension practice problems help scientists and engineers develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for their fields of study.

3. How do you approach solving a tension practice problem?

To solve a tension practice problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object, such as gravity, friction, and tension. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations to calculate the tension force. It is important to draw a free-body diagram and label all the known and unknown variables to assist with the calculation process.

4. Can tension practice problems be solved using only theoretical equations?

While theoretical equations can be used to solve tension practice problems, it is often necessary to take into account real-world factors such as the elasticity and weight of the material used to suspend the object. These factors may require additional calculations or experiments to determine their values.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving tension practice problems?

One common mistake in solving tension practice problems is forgetting to consider the direction of the tension force. Tension is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, so it is crucial to pay attention to its direction when making calculations. It is also essential to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.