Maximize the volume without using Lagrange multipliers

In summary: The maximum volume is 1953125 cubic centimeters.In summary, the problem asks to find the dimensions of a rectangular box that satisfies a length constraint imposed by the post office and encloses the largest possible volume. The solution involves using partial differentiation and constraints to find the maximum volume.
s3a

Homework Statement

When a rectangular box is sent through the mail, the post office demands that the length of the box plus twice the sum of its height and width be no more than 250 centimeters. Find the dimensions of the box satisfying this requirement that encloses the largest possible volume. (Solve this problem without using Lagrange multipliers.)

Homework Equations

Partial differentiation and equations of constraint for each variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is attached however, given that I got length = l = 0 (even though I get a nonzero width and height) which gives a volume of 0, I'd say I did something wrong and I don't have the solutions or answer for this particular problem so I can't check what's wrong.

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
did you just equate the volume with zero? shouldn't you differentiate to maximise the volume and find where the derivative is zero?

Last edited:
s3a said:

Homework Statement

When a rectangular box is sent through the mail, the post office demands that the length of the box plus twice the sum of its height and width be no more than 250 centimeters. Find the dimensions of the box satisfying this requirement that encloses the largest possible volume. (Solve this problem without using Lagrange multipliers.)

Homework Equations

Partial differentiation and equations of constraint for each variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is attached however, given that I got length = l = 0 (even though I get a nonzero width and height) which gives a volume of 0, I'd say I did something wrong and I don't have the solutions or answer for this particular problem so I can't check what's wrong.
attachment.php?attachmentid=44490&d=1330441256.jpg

(Your solution is correct for the minimum volume.)

Once you have w = h, put that back into the volume formula so V is only a function of w or h .

Maximize that.

lanedance, no that's not what I did. I did differentiate (partially) hence the subscripts. ;)

SammyS, it makes sense that I got the minimum :) (thanks for mentioning it though because I initially thought I was doing something redundant rather than getting a minimum). What you said sounds like what I did though. Could you please be a bit more descriptive algorithmically?

s3a said:
SammyS, it makes sense that I got the minimum :) (thanks for mentioning it though because I initially thought I was doing something redundant rather than getting a minimum). What you said sounds like what I did though. Could you please be a bit more descriptive algorithmically?

[itex]\displaystyle V=\ell hw[/itex]

If h = w , then = 250 - 4h ,

and [itex]\displaystyle V=(250 - 4h)h^2\,.[/itex]

Maximize that.

In the attachment above, I already have

V = 250w^2 - 4w^3

which is basically what you said with w instead of h which is okay since w = h.

As for maximizing that, do you mean taking dV/dw = 0 and solving for w?

s3a said:
In the attachment above, I already have

V = 250w^2 - 4w^3

which is basically what you said with w instead of h which is okay since w = h.

As for maximizing that, do you mean taking dV/dw = 0 and solving for w?
That's the usual way.

Try it.

Is this what you meant?

(By the way, I choose to reject w = 0 since it yields a minimum.)

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 471

1. What is the concept of maximizing volume without using Lagrange multipliers?

Maximizing volume without using Lagrange multipliers is a mathematical technique used to find the maximum possible volume of an object without using the Lagrange multiplier method. It involves solving optimization problems by finding the critical points of the function representing the volume, without using the Lagrange multiplier equation.

2. Why is maximizing volume without using Lagrange multipliers important?

This technique is important because it provides an alternative method for solving optimization problems, making it easier to find the maximum volume of an object. It also helps in understanding the underlying principles of Lagrange multipliers and optimization in general.

3. What are the advantages of using this method over Lagrange multipliers?

One of the main advantages is that it is often simpler and more intuitive to use. It also eliminates the need for solving systems of equations, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors. Additionally, it can provide insights into the geometric properties of the object being optimized.

4. Are there any limitations to maximizing volume without using Lagrange multipliers?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It may not always give the most accurate results, and in some cases, it may not be possible to find the maximum volume without using the Lagrange multiplier method. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and optimization concepts.

5. Can this method be applied to any type of object?

Yes, this method can be applied to any type of object that can be represented by a function of volume. However, the complexity of the function may vary, and some objects may require additional techniques or approximations to find the maximum volume.