Liouville's Theorem and Black Holes

In summary: Yes, there is a consensus now among physicists. The consensus is that information is lost in a black hole.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
In Professor Susskind's lecture 7 on Classical Physics, he discusses Liouville's Theorem. He said that a consequence was that points in the phase space can not coalesce and lose their identity.

In Professor Susskind's book, Black Hole War, he discusses why destruction of information at the event horizon of a black hole would violate conservation of information.

My question is: The conservation of information in Liouville's theorem and the conservation of information in the black hole debates; are the the same concept?

The reason I ask, is that in Black Hole War, Susskind says that violation of conservation of information would violate the most fundamental laws of physics. Yet is is fuzzy what kind of information he means, and which fundamental laws mandate conservation of information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes there is an analogue of the Liouville theorem in quantum mechanics, where the quantum state can be described using a density matrix. In quantum mechanics a pure density matrix always remains pure, if time evolution is unitary, and no information is lost. However, Hawking's calculation showed that at his level of approximation, a pure density matrix turned into a mixed density matrix, suggesting that time evolution is not unitary, and information is lost.

Here are two links that mention the density matrix in the context of Hawking radiation.
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0409024
http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.1038

Last edited:
Just in case, here's a short version of the book - "Leonard Susskind on The Black Hole Wars"

Last edited by a moderator:
atyy said:
Here are two links that mention the density matrix in the context of Hawking radiation.
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0409024
http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.1038

I looked at ghost two abstracts. Thanks.

In your opinion, is the Hawking-Susskind debate about information at event horizons still open, or is it settled? Is there a consensus now among physicists? If yes, which way?

I feel abased by my lack of knowledge concerning Liouvilles theorem.

See wikipedia article here. Or better still, watch the video of Susskind's lecture linked in the first post of this thread.

anorlunda said:
My question is: The conservation of information in Liouville's theorem and the conservation of information in the black hole debates; are the the same concept?

I would answer categorically, NO. Liouville's theorem is mathematics. The behavior of black holes is physics.

Keeping a clear head about the difference between math and physics is essential IMO. Of course you can't do much physics at any level without mathematics, but "the map is not the territory".

As one of my early mentors used to say, talking about engineering rather than physics: "never forget that the thing you are testing hasn't read any textbooks to tell it how it ought to behave."

Alephzero,
I beg to differ. See wikipedia
Liouville's theorem (Hamiltonian). The article includes a section on the physical interpretation.

See also
Liouville's theorem disambiguation page. It lists many meanings for the theorem, one of which is physics. I quote:Liouville's theorem has various meanings, all mathematical results named after Joseph Liouville:

In complex analysis, see Liouville's theorem (complex analysis); there is also a related theorem on harmonic functions.
In conformal mappings, see Liouville's theorem (conformal mappings).
In Hamiltonian mechanics, see Liouville's theorem (Hamiltonian).
In linear differential equations, see Liouville's formula.
In transcendence theory and diophantine approximations, the theorem that any Liouville number is transcendental.
In differential algebra, see Liouville's theorem (differential algebra)
In differential geometry, see Liouville's equation

What is Liouville's Theorem and how does it relate to black holes?

Liouville's Theorem is a mathematical principle that states the phase space density of a system is conserved over time. In terms of black holes, this means that the phase space density of matter falling into a black hole remains constant throughout the process.

Can Liouville's Theorem explain the behavior of black holes?

While Liouville's Theorem does provide a mathematical framework for understanding the conservation of phase space density in black holes, it does not fully explain the complex behavior of these objects. Other theories, such as general relativity, are needed to fully understand the dynamics of black holes.

What is the relationship between Liouville's Theorem and the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, beyond which nothing, including light, can escape. Liouville's Theorem states that the phase space density of matter falling into a black hole remains constant, even at the event horizon, where the laws of physics as we know them break down.

Can Liouville's Theorem be applied to other astronomical objects besides black holes?

Yes, Liouville's Theorem is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and can be applied to a wide range of systems, including other astronomical objects such as stars and galaxies.

How does Liouville's Theorem affect our understanding of the singularity at the center of a black hole?

The singularity at the center of a black hole is a point of infinite density and is where the laws of physics as we know them break down. Liouville's Theorem does not directly address the singularity, but it does provide a framework for understanding the conservation of phase space density as matter approaches the singularity.