Register to reply

Anyone read "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee?

by UVCatastrophe
Tags: qft in a nutshell
Share this thread:
UVCatastrophe
Aug21-14, 06:51 PM
P: 3
In Chapter IV.3 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell] by A. Zee (2nd Edition), there is a section titled "Wisdom of the son-in-law".

My question is, WTH does that heading have to do with anything in the text? Is this just a common expression? I don't get it.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
kurros
Aug21-14, 07:57 PM
P: 369
Yes... Zee is somewhat unconventional. I don't know what he refers to either. I googled the phrase and found some partial match with the Judgement of Solomon, but I can't really see how that is relevant.
haushofer
Aug22-14, 12:28 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 913
Maybe Jona-Lasinio was Schwinger's son in law.

nrqed
Aug24-14, 10:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,999
Anyone read "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee?

Quote Quote by UVCatastrophe View Post
In Chapter IV.3 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell] by A. Zee (2nd Edition), there is a section titled "Wisdom of the son-in-law".

My question is, WTH does that heading have to do with anything in the text? Is this just a common expression? I don't get it.
The answer is: "Le gendre" in French means "The son-in-law". Since he is talking about Legendre transformations, he made that joke. I only understood because I speak French.

Patrick
arivero
Aug24-14, 10:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,933
Also, it is almost an expression... in Spanish. In this language, "brother-in-law wisdom" refers to the tipical chit-chat conversation in family meetings, such as the ones in Xmas, where usually there is a "brother-in-law", a "cuņado", who pretends to know about everything. Funny coincidence.
haushofer
Aug25-14, 02:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 913
Quote Quote by nrqed View Post
The answer is: "Le gendre" in French means "The son-in-law". Since he is talking about Legendre transformations, he made that joke. I only understood because I speak French.

Patrick
Fantastic :')
mal4mac
Aug25-14, 03:10 AM
P: 1,172
In the UK the "mother-in-law" joke is a standard for comedians, the basic idea being that mother-in-law always thinks son-in-law is an idiot. So I would read "wisdom of the son-in-law" as being ironic.

Aren't QFT textbooks hard enough without making obscure jokes? I guess it's all part of the weeding out process...

Register to reply