Register to reply

Rhesus Negative Conundrum

by cobby174
Tags: conundrum, negative, rhesus
Share this thread:
cobby174
Sep3-14, 06:18 AM
P: 3
So there I was thinking, if the mother was Rhesus Negative and she had a Rhesus positive baby, her antibodies would cross the placenta and attack the Rhesus positive baby's red blood cells (assuming second child).

Then I thought, well, what if the mother was Rhesus positive, and the baby was Rhesus negative?

Well...firstly, Rhesus positive (Rh+) is dominant, yes? It causes the expression of the important "D" antigen on the surface of RBC. Therefore, a Rhesus positive mother and a Rhesus negative father would give a Rhesus positive baby. Therefore, we can conclude that the mother can never be Rhesus positive while the foetus/(baby) was Rhesus negative or at least...this scenario is unlikely?!

But wait...

What if, we took a Rh- mother's egg, and a Rh- father's sperm, fertilised it and through IVF placed it in a Rh+ SURROGATE mother? What effects would occur?!

Would nothing occur because the foetus does not produce antibodies at all?

- Cobby

P.S. Yes I just wanted to let you know I went through the thought process...took a while to get to the question :)
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Imaging identifies asymptomatic people at risk for stroke
Dental and nutrition experts call for radical rethink on free sugars intake
Study shows consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes
Greg Bernhardt
Sep12-14, 05:16 PM
Admin
P: 9,684
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
cobby174
Sep13-14, 12:21 AM
P: 3
Nope..no additional information...that's ok thanks for asking! I'm going to ask some university lecturers too so if I get the answer I'll let ye all know :)

Register to reply