What units are used in the expression P = (B^2 A)/(2 mu_o)?

In summary, P = B^2 A/2 x permeability of free space. To lift a 10,000 Newton plate, a magnetic flux density of 2000 N/m2 is required.
NUMB_NUTS

HI EVEYONE,
NEED TO TAALK TO SOMEONE WHO IS UP ON CALCULATING THE VALUE OF (B), REQUIRED TO LIFT A PLATE OF XXNEWTONS. ALSO ESTIMATE THE M.M.F REQUIREDTO LIFT THE SAME PLATE.
ANY TAKERS PLEASE?
THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to yell. What are the equations that describe the force generated by current flowing in a coil?

Thanks For Your Reply.

I WILL TRY EXPLAIN MY QUESTION AND PRESENT YOU WITH ALL THE FACTS I HAVE AT MY DISPOSAL.
In the question it is first mentioned that the pull,P, exerted at each pole of the magnet is given by the equation:
P = Bsquared x A divided by 2 x permeability of free space.
A being CSA of the pole faces
free space being 4 x pie x 10 to power of -7.

OK.
next we have c.s.a of magnet: 22 x 22 cm.
R, radius: 0.5m.
angle in degree`s: 120.
relative permeability of magnet: 2000.
relative permeability of plate: 1000.
thickness of plate: 5cm
weight of plate: 10'000 Newtons.

I have drawn out a diagram to show you what the radius and angle are all about. Can i paste a paint document here? It would help a lot.
Many thanks .

just save the the jpeg file on your computer and then attach it to the post.

electromagnet problem, need help please!

View attachment electromagnet question.doc

Q1, I need to calculate the value of B required to lift a plate.
Q2, Estimate the mmf F required to lift the same plate.

I understand P = B squared x A. divided by 2 x permeability of free space.

This is what I have to work with:

The plate to be lifted weighs, 10`000 Newtons
Relative permeability of plate, 1000
Thickness of plate, 5 cm.

c.s.a. of magnet, 22 x 22 cm.
radius (mean) of magnet, 0.5m ( shown as red circle)
angle in degrees, 120.

I am assuming you have to first calculate the distance between the 2 poles. Using the cosine rule I make it: 0.75metres.

Now I need help with the rest please.
I don’t just want the answer I want to understand the formula properly.

Many thanks.

Can you define more clearly, the units for each of the variables in your expression
[tex]P = \frac{B^2 A}{2 \mu_o}[/tex]

by the way, your expression looks similar to one I note on this page. Are you using the same units?

From your given information, I don't see a value for "magnetic flux density" B. Perhaps you have some given information from which you can derive B.

Last edited:

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire. This creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can be used to attract or repel objects.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using an electric current to generate a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased or decreased by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. What are some uses of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday devices such as doorbells, refrigerators, and credit cards.

4. How can I make an electromagnet?

To make an electromagnet, you will need a battery, a wire, and a nail or other piece of iron. Wrap the wire around the nail and connect the ends to the battery. The nail will become magnetized when the current flows through the wire.

5. Can an electromagnet be turned on and off?

Yes, an electromagnet can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity through the wire. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears and the object being attracted to the magnet will fall.