Isotropic Radiation Propagation Patterns

In summary, the equation that the person is using states that:ReceivedPower(RxP) = TransmitPower(TxP) - FreeSpaceLoss(FSL)
SYS_eng
Hello,

I'm trying to plot a radio wave propagation plot of an isotropic antenna. I've found a collection of equations that I've tried to use, but the results that I'm getting, aren't exactly what I expect (not a circle or sphere, since the power is equally distributed).

Here is the equation that I'm currently using.
ReceivedPower(RxP) = TransmitPower(TxP) - FreeSpaceLoss(FSL)

Receive gain is equal to the transmit gain, which is equal to 1 or 0dB.

FSL = -27.55 dB + 20*log[frequency(MHz)] + 20*log[distance(m)]
TxP = InputPower / 4*Pie*Radius^2
TxP = EIRP, Effective Isotropic Radiated Power

So the only variable that I have would be the distance & radius, which I believe to be the same. All the images of an isotropic antenna power distribution demonstrate a spherical (or in a 2d space, a circle with an intensity radiating outwards). Instead I have a spike in the middle of high power, which drastically goes to zero as the distance grows.

My question is whether or not I'm using the correct equations. If so, is this the sort of output that I should be seeing? Lastly, EIRP generates a unit [W/m2], can is this a valid unit to be using to be measuring dB, or is there a conversion that I should be using?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Typically, you see:

Pr (dBW) = EIRP (dBW) + Gr (dB) - FSL (dB)

where Gr is the antenna gain of your receive antenna, FSL is as you calculated in the equation, and EIRP is the effective isotropic radiated power and is given by

EIRP (dBW) = Pt (dBW) + Gt (dB),

where Pt is the transmitter power, and Gt is the gain of your transmit antenna.

The only parameter that will depend on distance is FSL. When you plot the data, you will need to be careful about letting distance go to zero, as the equations blow up --- they are intended to be used in the "far field" of your transmitting and receiving antennas.

[W/m^2] is correct since any "radar/antenna" equation will give you result in this units. Because Radiated power is measured in watts per square meter.

Basic antenna equation states that:
Multiply or add-up everything the has to do with gain and divide by everything that has to do with loss, including distance.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. It seems like I'm doing everything that you explained. I didn't add the gain to the equations, because I assumed that there was no gain or loss on both the transmitter or the receiver. Also I was reading on the TxP equation, and the Radius does vary, so it should increase/decrease respectively with the Distance variable. (TxP describes the power at a given distance from the transmitter source).

I've done a bit more work on this and here is what I think I'm getting confused with. I'm trying to graph my plot in both a 2D and 3D space. For a 3D space, I thought I was supposed to see a sphere (http://www.hp.com/rnd/images/pdf_html/antennas_figure6.jpg) , but when I graph my plot, it's more like rotating a 1/R^2 equation around the z-axis (looks something like a pitched tent). If I'm understanding this properly, the sphere demonstrates the isotropic propagation pattern (equally distributed in all directions), where my graph represents the power distribution of the isotropic signal (which is distributed in all directions, but the amplitude decreases as the distance grows). So in the end, I believe my graphs and equations are right. Please feel free to correct me here, if anyone disagrees. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Isotropic Radiation Equation?

The Isotropic Radiation Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the intensity of radiation emitted from a point source and the distance from that source. It assumes that the radiation is emitted equally in all directions, making it a useful tool for studying isotropic sources such as stars or nuclear reactions.

How is the Isotropic Radiation Equation used?

The Isotropic Radiation Equation can be used to calculate the intensity of radiation at any given distance from a point source. This is useful for determining the potential risks of exposure to radiation, as well as for studying the behavior of isotropic sources in various environments.

What are the variables in the Isotropic Radiation Equation?

The Isotropic Radiation Equation has two variables: the intensity of radiation (I) and the distance from the source (r). The equation also includes a constant (k) that represents the strength of the radiation emitted from the source.

What are the units of measurement for the Isotropic Radiation Equation?

The units of measurement for the Isotropic Radiation Equation will depend on the units used for the intensity of radiation (I) and distance (r). Generally, the intensity of radiation is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and distance is measured in meters (m).

Are there any limitations to the Isotropic Radiation Equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Isotropic Radiation Equation. It assumes that the radiation is emitted equally in all directions, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account factors such as absorption, scattering, or the effects of different types of radiation. Therefore, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with other equations and data.