Integrate the function e^(x^2)

In summary, the problem involves integrating the function e^(-x^2) with definite integrals from -infinity to X. The indefinite integral of this reduces to sqrt(pi), but the definite integral is not possible to solve using elementary functions. It is suggested to look up the error function for a solution. It is also unclear if X is independent of x in this problem.
lost_math

Homework Statement

Integrate the function e^(-x^2) with definite integrals -infinity to X

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the indefinite integral of this reduces to sqrt(pi), but don't know what to do with the definite integral. Is this a known result that I can simply plug in and use?What kind of substitution can I try? FYI- this is a variation of the CDF for a normally distributed function...

Physics news on Phys.org
lost_math said:

Homework Statement

Integrate the function e^(-x^2) with definite integrals -infinity to X

Impossible in terms of elementary functions. Why not look up the error function though?

EDIT: is X independent of x? I am unclear with your notation.

1. What is the purpose of integrating the function e^(x^2)?

Integrating the function e^(x^2) allows us to determine the area under the curve of the function, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Is it possible to find an exact solution for the integral of e^(x^2)?

No, it is not possible to find an exact solution for the integral of e^(x^2) using elementary functions. However, it can be approximated using numerical methods.

3. How do you integrate e^(x^2)?

The integral of e^(x^2) can be solved using the substitution method, where u = x^2 and du = 2x dx. This results in the integral becoming ∫e^u (du/2), which can then be solved using integration by parts or the power rule.

4. What is the value of the integral of e^(x^2) from 0 to infinity?

The integral of e^(x^2) from 0 to infinity is equal to √π/2, which is approximately 1.77245.

5. Can the integral of e^(x^2) be used to solve other integrals?

Yes, the integral of e^(x^2) is often used as a building block to solve other integrals. It can be used to solve integrals involving other exponentials, trigonometric functions, and more complex functions.