MCNP 5 User Guide: Detailed Documentation & Authorization Info

• Thread starter theCandyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp
In summary: MCNP is restricted technology because it could be used to certain types of nuclear design calculations. Current applications for the code include among others: design of accelerator spallation targets, particularly for neutron scattering facilities; investigations for accelerator isotope production and destruction programs, including the transmutation of nuclear waste; research into accelerator-driven energy sources; medical physics, especially proton and neutron therapy; investigations of cosmic-ray radiation backgrounds and shielding for high altitude aircraft and spacecraft; accelerator-based imaging technology such as neutron and proton radiography; design of shielding in accelerator facilities; activation of accelerator components and surrounding groundwater and air; investigation of fully coupled neutron and charged-particle transport for lower energy applications; high-energy dosimetry and neutron detection;
theCandyman
I have to write some input for MCNP for one of my classes. The graduate student had given us a lecture and some examples, but I'm trying to find some more detailed documentation, but even anything basic would be nice.

The one I did run across, from LANL, I needed authorization to view, why is that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
MCNP is restricted technology because it could be used to certain types of nuclear design calculations.

Current applications for the code include among others:
Design of accelerator spallation targets, particularly for neutron scattering facilities; Investigations for accelerator isotope production and destruction programs, including the transmutation of nuclear waste; Research into accelerator-driven energy sources; Medical physics, especially proton and neutron therapy; Investigations of cosmic-ray radiation backgrounds and shielding for high altitude aircraft and spacecraft ; Accelerator-based imaging technology such as neutron and proton radiography; Design of shielding in accelerator facilities; Activation of accelerator components and surrounding groundwater and air; Investigation of fully coupled neutron and charged-particle transport for lower energy applications; High-energy dosimetry and neutron detection; Design of neutrino experiments; Comparison of physics-based and table-based data; Charged-particle tracking in plasmas; Charged-particle propulsion concepts for spaceflight; Single-event upset in semiconductors, from cosmic rays in spacecraft or from the neutron component on the Earth's surface; Detection technology using charged particles (i.e., abandoned landmines); Nuclear safeguards; Nuclear criticality safety; Radiation protection and shielding; Oil well logging.
http://www.nea.fr/abs/html/ccc-0730.html

Last edited by a moderator:
We are collecting http://mcnpx.net/mcnp-manual-mcnpx-manual".
If you need one, than have a look on what we have found.
theCandyman said:
I have to write some input for MCNP for one of my classes. The graduate student had given us a lecture and some examples, but I'm trying to find some more detailed documentation, but even anything basic would be nice.

The one I did run across, from LANL, I needed authorization to view, why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is MCNP 5 User Guide?

MCNP 5 User Guide is a detailed documentation and authorization information for the MCNP 5 computer code. MCNP 5 is a general-purpose Monte Carlo N-Particle code that is used for simulating radiation transport and analyzing nuclear systems.

2. Who can use MCNP 5 User Guide?

MCNP 5 User Guide can be used by anyone who has access to the MCNP 5 computer code. This may include scientists, engineers, and researchers who are interested in studying radiation transport and nuclear systems.

3. How can I obtain MCNP 5 User Guide?

MCNP 5 User Guide can be obtained through the official website of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, where the code is developed. The user guide is available for download in PDF format.

4. Is MCNP 5 User Guide free to use?

MCNP 5 User Guide is free to use for non-commercial purposes. However, a license is required for commercial use. The license can be obtained through the Los Alamos National Laboratory website.

5. What information is included in MCNP 5 User Guide?

MCNP 5 User Guide includes detailed documentation and authorization information for the MCNP 5 computer code. This includes information about the code's capabilities, input and output files, and how to run simulations. It also includes instructions for obtaining a license for commercial use.