Simple Explanation of Relativity - Learn What Relativity Is

• Thread starter Cookie_1993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, relativity is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of objects in space and time, based on the idea that there is no absolute reference frame. It assumes that there are multiple reference frames, and that different observers will see different things.
Cookie_1993
hi!

sorry to tell this but relativity confuse me abit too much.
i have tried to read the explanation given in the internet, but i don't think that it was that very helpful.

my question is- what is simple explanation of relativity? what is relativity?

i thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It presumes there are no preferred reference frames. When an object is moving inertially (with no acceleration), its motion can only be measured with respect to some other object - so if there is a relative velocity v between them - neither can claim which is moving Therefore an observer on either object can consider himself at rest and draw the same conclusions about space and time measurments in the moving frame of the other object

Simple explanation? Sometimes the chicken crosses the road & sometimes the road crosses under the chicken. If it happens too fast, they need to slow down their watches otherwise they get a speeding ticket.

Lol Lol Lol Lol

A mixed metaphor, Thrice, but funny :smile: If there's a sticky somewhere for physics jokes, I vote to add this one.

thankz!
but i don't think i understood the chicken thing..

It was a joke, Cookie. If you want "a simple explanation of relativity", you might not get more than a joke, at least not from those who are well acquainted with relativistic physics and are familiar with the number and variety of potential misconceptions which newbies can bring to the table.

Speaking for myself, if I could offer a truly simple explanation, I would have already done so.

Don't misunderstand: it is possible to acquire a good intuition for str, using only a high school trig/geometry background, particularly if you have a strong geometric imagination and are willing to study a good book or two. But you probably shouldn't expect to gain much enlightenment without expending much effort. See the websites in my sig for some suggestions at various levels of mathematical expertise.

Last edited:
oh ok!
could you suggest me a book which i could browse through for a study on relativity?

Sure can. See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/HTML/reading.html Note that my recommendations are roughly organized by level of mathematical background. Mastery of linear algebra, tensor calculus, and so on, is essential for anyone who wants to really master gtr, but you can get some superb intuition from the semi-popular book by Geroch!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you!

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how time and space are affected by the presence of massive objects and how they interact with each other.

2. What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity deals with the effects of gravity on the fabric of space and time.

3. How does relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics, also known as Newtonian mechanics, was the dominant theory of physics before relativity. However, classical mechanics only applies to objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light and does not take into account the effects of gravity.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter "c", plays a crucial role in relativity. According to special relativity, the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. It has provided a deeper understanding of gravity and its effects on the universe, as well as explaining phenomena such as black holes and the expanding universe.