Calculating Work and Potential Energy with Gravity at 2.789 m/s^2 Acceleration"

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to compare the work done by gravity to the change in potential energy. The individual is unsure about which acceleration to use and is also aware that work done by the conservative force (gravity) is equal to the negative change in potential energy. The conclusion is that the acceleration due to gravity is always 9.8 m/s^2 and potential energy is calculated using gravity.
Aldwyn
1. ok don't know if this is the right section but here i go. The being asked is compare the work done by gravity to the change in potential energy? There is a system, but thas not important what is important is that the mass is falling at an acceleration of 2.789 m/s squared.

2. So i found the change in potential by doing mgh final - mga initial. i used the acceleration of 2.789 instead of 9.8 as g though. The when i attempted to find the work done by gravity i don't know if i should use 2.789 or 9.8.

3. Might sound like a jumple but i have no concrete answer to go upon so this is the best i could do. Basically i want to know which accelerations i should be using since its all jumbled in my head. I am also aware that W done by the conservative force (gravity in this case) is equal to the negative potential chnage. I just need help getting there

Physics news on Phys.org
2) your assumptions were incorrect. mgh is always 9.8 unless you are on a different planet. i would assume that for this problem you just have air drag or something simmilar.

so eventhough the mass is falling at a rate of 2.789 m/s squared i must assume that change in potential energy = mgh final - mgh initial (m being mass, g being 9.8, and h being the final and intial height).

the acceleration due to gravity is always 9.8 m/s^2, unless you're not on earth. mgh is a fancy way of calculating work by separating force into m and a, which is g, and distance into h, which is the distance parallel to your object, and the one that you should me worrying about.

i suppose just seems weird that the potential energy is calculated using gravity instead of the falling acceleration.

potential energy is the potential the object has. the force upon it times the distance it can move.

What is work done by gravity?

The work done by gravity is the amount of energy transferred to an object as it falls or is raised in a gravitational field.

How is work done by gravity calculated?

The work done by gravity is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What are the units of work done by gravity?

The units of work done by gravity are Joules (J) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

Does the work done by gravity depend on the mass of the object?

Yes, the work done by gravity does depend on the mass of the object. The greater the mass, the more work is done by gravity as the object falls or is raised in a gravitational field.

Can work be done against gravity?

Yes, work can be done against gravity when an external force is applied in the opposite direction of gravity. This requires an equal amount of work to be done to overcome the force of gravity.