How does a scalar transform under adjoint representation of SU(3)?

In summary, Cartan generators are a way to specify the transformation properties of a space-time scalar field like \Phi.
arroy_0205
I read this in a paper: Suppose there is a theory describing fermions transforming nontrivially under SU(3) gauge symmetry.
L = \Psi^{\bar}(\gamma^A D_A+Y(\Phi))\Psi. The covariant derivative is: D_A\Psi=(\partial_A-i E_A^{\alpha}T_{\alpha})\Psi. Where E_A^{\alpha} are SU(3) gauge fields, T_{\alpha} are SU(3) generators and \alpha=1,2,...8. Then the author says \Phi=\Phi^{\alpha}T_{\alpha} is
a scalar field that transforms in the adjoint representation
of SU(3). I do not understand why should a scalar field transform that way. I thought scalars are invariant. Can one construct such a theory with one scalar instead of eight scalars? Can anybody explain? Since I do not know much of group theory, it may be helpful to refer me to some appropriate book also. What is meant by Cartan generators?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like it's saying that \Phi is a space-time scalar, not an SU(3) scalar. That is to say that it takes on a single value at each point in spacetime, which does not transform at all under Lorentz transformations, but that it carries SU(3) charge.

Parlyne is correct - when you say "scalar field", you are referring to the space-time transformation rules. A (complex) scalar field can transform any way it wants, but consider: if it is a *real* scalar field, it must transform under a *real* representation of the gauge group. Therefore it can be a singlet (doesn't transform at all) or an adjoint (like the gauge bosons). If [itex]\Psi[/itex] is in the fundamental of SU(3), then [itex]\bar{\Psi}\Psi[/itex] is already real, so therefore [itex]\phi[/itex] must also be real (since the action must be Hermitian). That's why they make it transform in the adjoint rep.

"Cartan Generators" are the standard basis for the su(n) Lie Algebra. Check out Georgi's textbook for an in-depth explanation of this.

What is a scalar?

A scalar is a physical quantity that only has magnitude, but no direction. In other words, it is a number that is not dependent on any coordinate system.

What is SU(3)?

SU(3) is a special unitary group in mathematics that consists of 3x3 unitary matrices with determinant equal to 1. It is commonly used in the study of particle physics, particularly in the theory of strong interactions.

What is the adjoint representation of SU(3)?

The adjoint representation of SU(3) is a mathematical tool used to describe the transformation of a particle or field under the action of an SU(3) symmetry. It is represented by a set of 8x8 matrices, known as the Gell-Mann matrices, which form a basis for the Lie algebra of SU(3).

How does a scalar transform under adjoint representation of SU(3)?

A scalar under the adjoint representation of SU(3) transforms in the same way as a vector under the fundamental representation of SU(3). This means that it is transformed by left-multiplying it by a unitary matrix from SU(3).

What are the practical applications of studying scalar transformations under adjoint representation of SU(3)?

The study of scalar transformations under adjoint representation of SU(3) is important in understanding the behavior of particles and fields in the theory of strong interactions. It is also useful in developing models and theories in particle physics, such as the Standard Model, which heavily relies on SU(3) symmetry.