Solving cot x = 0: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter starchild75
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to find the cotangent function, but is having trouble with their calculator. They say that when they try to solve for x, they get an error. They also mention that there might be another way to graphically get the answer.
starchild75

Homework Statement

cot x= 0

How do I figure this out? I can't remember how to do it.
It makes sense the answer would be zero. But I got my test back and the answer was 3pi/2 +2pik. This answer doesn't make sense.

Homework Equations

This is what I remember. cot^-1=x I don't know how to do it on my calculator.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Emmm what does k stand for?

(Sorry I don't know why it isn't zero either, but I'd like to know why?) Not much help though sorry . .

Maybe if we try to expand it into a series or something? ??

Last edited:
K represents every time you go around the unit circle.

starchild75 said:

Homework Statement

cot x= 0

How do I figure this out? I can't remember how to do it.
It makes sense the answer would be zero. But I got my test back and the answer was 3pi/2 +2pik. This answer doesn't make sense.

Homework Equations

This is what I remember. cot^-1=x I don't know how to do it on my calculator.

The Attempt at a Solution

How are you asking about an inverse? The cotangent function is not necessarily an inverse.
[tex] \[
\cot (x) = 0 = \frac{{\cos (x)}}{{\sin (x)}}
\]
[/tex]

or did you want the angle which has cotangent of 0?

Most modern calculators have either a "2nd" function or "inverse function" key and that accesses the function just above or to the side of the original function. You should find "TAN-1" function just above or beside the button labeled "TAN". As I said, you access that by pressing the "2nd" key and then the "TAN" key.

However, you shouldn't need that. You should know that [itex]cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] and that cotangent and tangent have period [itex]\pi[/itex]. I don't know why you were told that solutions to cot(x)= 0 are "3pi/2 +2pik". They are, in fact, [itex]\pi/2+ k\pi[/itex] where k is any integer. (Which would be the same as [itex]\pi/2+ k\pi[/itex].)

What about to find cot^-1 on a calculator? The problem is cot x=0. I am trying to take the inverse cotangent of both sides to solve for x.,

Last edited:
That button usually isn't there, but you can quickly get around it

if you have

[tex]\cot x = y[/tex]

instead of going [tex]x = \cot^{-1} y[/tex]

you can do

[tex]\frac{1}{\tan x} = y[/tex]

[tex]\tan x = \frac{1}{y}[/tex]

[tex]x = \tan^{-1}\frac{1}{y}[/tex]

I don't understand. At that point, you would have zero in the denominator.

Yes, and for what [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]tan(\theta)[/itex] undefined?

pi/2

starchild75 said:
pi/2
anywhere else?

or what other condition could you apply to pi/2? such as what you were confused about earlier, with the "k"

pi/2+pik

starchild75 said:
I don't understand. At that point, you would have zero in the denominator.

So lim x-> 0 1/x would give you infinity and the calc. will give you an error. Try putting a very large number like 999999999 (fill up all the digits on the clac.) That should also give you your answer.

You can also graphically get the answer by plotting the tan function and doing a 1/tan to get the cot function. Graphically is the best way as even if you forget, you can always derive it. This way you won't need to memorize anything.

This question has more than 2 answers

Ok, first of all: cot (data)= 0. But, cot= cos/sin (data)
so, on the Unit Circle there woul be Pi/2 (0,1), and 3Pi/2 (0,-1). And that would make the fuction to be equal 0. However, k is any integer that -Pi/2<data<Pi/2, so data has to lie in QD IV and I. For a cot fucn, the period goes to 2Pi, therefore:
data= Pi/2 +2KPi and data= 3Pi/2 +2KPi. Let k=1,2,and 3, then solve for data. If data is in degree, covert 2KPi to 360Pi. Good luck

[tex]cot x= 0 = \frac {cos x}{sin x}[/tex]

So where ever cos x = 0 so will cot x = 0. If you're not given any domain then you'll need to find ALL the values where cos x = 0.

Read ThienAn's post^^

1. What is the first step in solving cot x = 0?

The first step is to rewrite the equation in terms of sin and cos: cot x = cos x / sin x = 0. This allows us to use the trigonometric identity tan x = sin x / cos x to solve for x.

2. How do I solve for x when cot x = 0?

Since cot x = 0 is equivalent to tan x = sin x / cos x = 0, we can set sin x = 0 and cos x ≠ 0 to find the solutions. This means that x can take on any value where sin x = 0, such as x = 0, π, 2π, .... These are called the principal solutions. However, there are also infinitely many solutions known as general solutions that can be found by adding or subtracting multiples of π to the principal solutions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve cot x = 0?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a cotangent function that can solve for x when given an input of 0. However, it's important to keep in mind that calculators may only give the principal solutions and not the general solutions. It's always best to double-check your answers by hand.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x for cot x = 0?

Yes, since cot x is undefined when the denominator (sin x) is equal to 0, there are values of x that must be excluded from the solution set. In this case, x cannot equal , where k is an integer, since this would result in a division by 0.

5. Can I use the same method to solve other trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use similar steps to solve other trigonometric equations by rewriting them in terms of sin and cos and applying appropriate identities. However, keep in mind that each equation may have unique restrictions and methods of solving, so it's always important to carefully read and understand the given equation before attempting to solve it.