Which electron travels from - to +?

• Thread starter kenewbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, when an electron leaves the negative ion, it has a different charge than when it reaches the positive ion. The + and - assigned to protons and electrons respectively is arbitrary.
kenewbie
Ok, let me try to state this properly (I don't know much about this, so try to understand what I am trying to say rather than pick apart any error).

NI-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-PI

NI - Negative Ion
A - Atom
PI -Positive Ion

Now, one electron from NI travels towards PI as in a circuit. Is the electron that left NI the same as the one that reaches PI? Or do the A's just send the one that happens to be closest to PI when they become negatively charged?

One other question while I am at it: Is there any significance to + being assigned to protons and - being assigned to electrons or is this arbitrary? Stated differently, is there any theory or phenomenon that would "break" if you where to switch and say that the proton is negative and the electron is positive?

Help a noobie out.

k

Physics news on Phys.org
As for your first question, I would guess that it would depend on how the ions/atoms are bonded as to whether or not it is the original electron that travels to the PI. For instance, if the atoms in between NI and PI are conductive, they will have a conduction band of valence electrons that freely move, so I would argue that it is probably not the original electron that moves to the PI, however, if say your atoms in between are insulators, that may not be the case, it might be that the electrons will not move at all.

For your other question. The + and - assigned to protons and electrons respectively is completely arbitrary (as I recall it was Ben Franklin that first assigned the + and -). As magnetostatics, and other E&M theories were created, the consensus was that the positive charges are moving in wires, however, we know that it is in fact that the negative charges move. So, it would make sense to either change that theory to negative charges moving, or to call protons negative and electrons positive. In actuality, no theories or phenomenon will "break" but they would potentially make more sense.

mat5041 said:
So, it would make sense to either change that theory to negative charges moving, or to call protons negative and electrons positive.

Aye, that was what I was getting at. Everything would be much more straight forward mathematicly if we assigned the positive charge to the electron.

IE:

H(3+) - e = H(2+)

Rather than

H(3+) - e = H(4+)

k

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits around the nucleus of an atom.

2. What does it mean for an electron to travel from - to +?

This refers to the direction of electron flow in an electrical circuit, from a negatively charged area (e.g. the cathode) to a positively charged area (e.g. the anode).

3. Why does an electron travel from - to +?

Electrons are negatively charged, so they are naturally attracted to positively charged areas. In an electrical circuit, this flow of electrons creates the flow of electricity.

4. How does an electron travel from - to +?

Electrons travel through a conductor, such as a wire, by jumping from atom to atom. This is known as electron drift.

5. Can an electron travel in the opposite direction, from + to -?

Yes, in certain situations, such as in a battery or during the discharge of a capacitor, the flow of electrons can be reversed and travel from positive to negative. However, in most electrical circuits, electrons flow from negative to positive.