Calculating Force for Imprinting Photoresist with a Stamp

• Thread starter Warr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem is to calculate the force required to imprint 'photoresist' (a very viscous fluid sensitive to light) of some known density, \rho and viscosity, \mu, with a ridid stamp, given a certain amount of time, t, and a certain depth, d. The concept of metal stamping is similar and the problem is to find or estimate the Maximum Blanking force needed to punch a blank from a material.
Warr
Hi

I have a problem I'm trying to figure out, but no idea where to start. Essentially I am trying to calculate the amount of force required to imprint 'photoresist' (a very viscous fluid sensitive to light) of some known density, [tex]\rho[/tex] and viscosity, [tex]\mu[/tex], with a ridid stamp, given a certain amount of time, t, and a certain depth, d.

Since I've never taken a fluid dynamics course, and am not sure if concepts from basic fluid dynamics are even relevant at these scales (lets say the stamp features are just an array of walls 100 nm wide and 1 micron depth, resembling a stripe pattern).

Is it harder to break through the surface of the fluid? Will the sides of the stamp 'walls' cause extra (non-negligable) resistance as opposed to a stamp with just a single feature (lets say a square) with the same surface area of all the walls in the first stamp? Is there a difference whether or not this is done in vacuum?

I've also attached a picture I created to help visualize the situation. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• imprinting.JPG
    imprinting.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a difficult calculation. I would set up a simple experiment and directly measure the force required to deform the material. Generally the force drops significantly after failure occurs. You might be able to set up a simple lever system with spring scale to measure a force. I don't think having a vacuum makes much difference.

I agree, you are better off measuring the force (actually, the pressure) as a function of time and depth. The photoresist is likely not a simple fluid.

This is an odd problem to solve- what is the application?

The 'desired' application is a SAW (surface acoustic wave) transducer, which in reality looks like this: http://www.sp.phy.cam.ac.uk/SPWeb/research/HFSET/Research/Background/content_files/schematic_transducer.jpeg"

This is actually for a thesis-like project where no experimentation is allowed, so I am kind of stuck there. Would there be any way to 'simplify' the calculation with some type of approximations or idealizations so that I could obtain a 'ballpark' answer? The reason I'd like to know the force required is to attempt to figure out whether it is feasible to have the stamp deform the resist under gravity rather than have stepper motors.

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
This problem is similar to metal stamping. I am enclosing a formula for calculating the maximum Blanking force needed to punch a blank from a material. You will need to find or estimate the Ultimate Tensile Strength of the material you are working with. A web search might help for example the Ultimate Tensile Strength of polyethylene,HDPE is 15 MPa.

P=t*L*K*ts

Where P is Blanking force(kgf)
t= thickness of stamped piece (mm)
L= TOTAL length of all cuts (mm)
K= correction factor (0.8-1) allows for sheared profile, finish of cutting edge etc.
ts= tensile strength (kgf/mm^2)

You are really more interested on stamping or embossing than blanking but it is a place to start.

What is photoresist?

Photoresist is a light-sensitive material that is used in the process of imprinting microscale patterns onto a surface. It is typically made of a polymer or a resin that can be hardened by exposure to light.

What is a stamp in this context?

In this context, a stamp refers to a device that contains a pattern or design on its surface. It is used to transfer the pattern onto the photoresist-coated surface through a process called imprint lithography.

How is force calculated for imprinting photoresist with a stamp?

The force required for imprinting photoresist with a stamp is calculated by dividing the pressure applied by the stamp onto the photoresist by the contact area between the stamp and the photoresist. This can be expressed as F = P/A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the contact area.

What factors affect the force required for imprinting photoresist?

The force required for imprinting photoresist can be affected by several factors such as the thickness and properties of the photoresist, the geometry and material of the stamp, and the surface properties of the substrate on which the photoresist is being imprinted.

Why is it important to accurately calculate the force for imprinting photoresist?

The force applied during imprinting directly affects the quality and fidelity of the pattern transferred onto the photoresist. If the force is too low, the pattern may not be fully transferred, resulting in incomplete or distorted patterns. On the other hand, if the force is too high, it can damage the photoresist or the stamp, leading to poor quality imprints. Therefore, accurately calculating the force is crucial for obtaining high-quality patterns with precise dimensions and features.