Can Harmonics of Larmor Frequency Affect Proton Precession in NMR?

In summary, Larmor Frequency, also known as Larmor Precession, is the frequency at which a charged particle precesses around a magnetic field. The formula for calculating Larmor Frequency is f = (γqB) / (2πm), where f is the frequency, γ is the gyromagnetic ratio, q is the charge of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle. Harmonics in relation to Larmor Frequency are the multiples of the Larmor Frequency that occur when the charged particle is subjected to a varying magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field affects Larmor Frequency, with a higher magnetic field resulting in a higher Larmor Frequency and faster precession
rj_duff
Would a harmonic of the Larmor frequency have any effect on proton precession?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're talking about NMR? I think not. The resonance bandwidth is extremely sharp.

Yes, I was talking about NMR.

That is what I was thinking, however my knowledge in this area is very limited and just needed more input.

Thanks.

What is Larmor Frequency?

Larmor Frequency, also known as the Larmor Precession, is the frequency at which a charged particle, such as an electron, will precess around a magnetic field.

What is the formula for calculating Larmor Frequency?

The formula for calculating Larmor Frequency is f = (γqB) / (2πm), where f is the frequency, γ is the gyromagnetic ratio, q is the charge of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.

What are harmonics in relation to Larmor Frequency?

Harmonics in relation to Larmor Frequency refer to the multiples of the Larmor Frequency that occur when the charged particle is subjected to a varying magnetic field. These harmonics can be used to study the properties of the particle and the magnetic field.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect Larmor Frequency?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the Larmor Frequency. As the magnetic field increases, the Larmor Frequency also increases. This means that the charged particle will precess at a faster rate around the magnetic field.

What is the significance of Larmor Frequency in scientific research?

Larmor Frequency is significant in scientific research as it is used to study the properties of particles and magnetic fields. It is also used in various technologies, such as MRI machines, to study and image the human body.