Understanding the capacitor deeply

• Thread starter finenil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, in a simple capacitor with two plates A and B, the charge on both plates is equal in magnitude due to the conservation of charge law. As for why the higher the frequency, the more current flows, it is because the capacitance may depend on frequency, and the changing electric field caused by the changing charge density on plate A affects the charge density on plate B. This can cause a lag in charge density at high frequencies, resulting in a lower impedance and acting like a short circuit. However, the exact relationship between frequency and capacitance is not fully understood.
finenil
hello every body,
i am trying to understand the capacitor behavior as deeply as i can ...
consider a simple capacitor with two plates A and B

---| |---

1- why the charge on both plates are equal in magnitude ?
when we apply a voltage to a capacitor,charge will accumulate on side A.this charge will build an E field which will pass thru the insulator and exert force on the plate B.So charges on plate B move and accumulate together.Ok but how do we know that this E field caused by Charges on plate A will exactly attract the same amount of charge that was on plate A on plate B??
why these two has to be equal ? Conservation of Charge Law ?

2 - why is that the higher the frequency , the more is the current ? is the following intuition wrong ?
when we apply a ac voltage to plate A of a capacitor , charges density on plate A will change with voltage.
when charge density changes , E field caused by them in the Capacitor changes too.
This changing E filed will cause the plate B charge density changing .
Ok but I am thinking that when the E filed is changing very fast(high freq.) the plate B charges may not find enough time to respond to it and move to the new configuration.so the charge density(voltage) on plate B may lag the charge density(voltage) of plate A. So why is that at high freq. the capacitor acts like a short curcuit or the impedance becomes lower?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
simple answer:afaik the current through a capacitor depends only on the capacitance and the rate of change of voltage. (i assume that this is because the total charge stored in the capacitor depends only on the voltage).

more complex answer:i think the capacitance may depend on the frequency though. i don't know anything about that.

granpa said:
more complex answer:i think the capacitance may depend on the frequency though. i don't know anything about that.

capacitance depends only on geometrical aspects + the electrical field permitivity of the insulator between the plates.The insulator characteristics may generally change with frequency but that is not our discussion.

1.When voltage is applied to the capacitor, positive and negative charges go onto different plates. Say positive charge on plate A and negative one on plate B.

Allright, let's imagine you somehow inject electrons into plate A of the capacitor, these electrons will repel the electrons hidden within the other uncharged plate, right? And these other electrons will be forced out of the B plate of the capacitator. However, if the other capacitor plate isn't connected to anything, then those electrons cannot leave the other plate! They will continue to repel the electrons in plate A, thus very few electrons can be forced into plate A. This means that if charge is injected into capacitor's plate A, then an equal amount of charge is pushed out of the capacitor's plate B.

Anyway, that's kind of the way I understand this, although a little childish it might as well be correct :)

2. " Ok but I am thinking that when the E filed is changing very fast(high freq.) the plate B charges may not find enough time to respond to it and move to the new configuration.so the charge density(voltage) on plate B may lag the charge density(voltage) of plate A. So why is that at high freq. the capacitor acts like a short curcuit or the impedance becomes lower? "
I agree with you. The higher the frequence the smaller is the resistance of the capasitor X=-j/wC (j - complex number) and the explanation you give seems reasonable, I can't really think of anything better.

cheers

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When connected to a power source, one plate accumulates a positive charge and the other accumulates a negative charge, creating an electric field between them.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing and releasing electrical energy. When connected to a power source, one plate accumulates a positive charge and the other accumulates a negative charge. The electric field between the plates stores the energy. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it releases the stored energy to power the circuit.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit?

The role of a capacitor in a circuit is to store and release electrical energy. It can act as a temporary power source, smoothing out fluctuations in voltage, and filtering out unwanted signals. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, computers, and power supplies.

4. How are capacitors measured?

Capacitors are measured in units of capacitance called farads (F). However, the most common units are microfarads (μF) and picofarads (pF). The capacitance of a capacitor can be determined by its physical characteristics, such as the size and spacing of the plates, as well as the type of dielectric used.

5. What are some common applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies, filters, timing circuits, and audio equipment. They are also used in electronic devices to store data, such as in flash memory. In addition, capacitors are used in electric motors, radios, and televisions.