Eigen vals/vecs in MDOF Dynamics Problems

• Thread starter JohnSimpson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: A \, \vec{x} In summary, the eigenvectors in this system correspond to the amplitude of the motions of the masses.
JohnSimpson
Say I have the following simple situation

||
||
||---/\/\/\---m1---/\/\/\----m2
---------------------------------

fixed walled and two masses connected by springs

When you write Newton's 2nd for each mass you can assume a sinusoid solution for the position as a function of time and plugging back into your equations you can solve for the two fundamental frequencies of the system. My question is this, If i write both equations in a matrix form

[tex]
\frac{d^2 \, \vec{x}}{dt^2} = A \, \vec{x}
[/tex]

with A being a matrix of combinations of spring constants divided by appropriate masses, do the eigenvalues of the matrix correspond to the squares of the natural angular frequencies? If so, why physically is this true? Additionally, what do the eigenvectors mean? What is the physical connection there?

-John

Physics news on Phys.org
So, for this situation, if you write down the eigenvalue equation it looks like this:

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}m_1^{-1} & 0 \\ 0 & m_2^{-1}\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}-k_1-k_2 & k_2 \\ k_2 & -k_2\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\x_2\end{array}\right) =
\left(\begin{array}{c}\ddot x_1\\\ddot x_2\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

(that's what I got, anyway. If it's not quite right, it doesn't really matter because the rest of this discussion doesn't focust on the form of the matrix.)

Now we assume there are harmonic solutions similar to a single harmonic oscillator, so that our trial solution would be [tex]\ddot x_1 = \omega^2 x_1[/tex] and [tex]\ddot x_2 = \omega^2 x_2[/tex]. (This is done without loss of generality; [tex]\omega[/tex] may be complex, so picking [tex]\omega^2[/tex] is really just handy for looking at the end result. But it's based on the fact that we've taken two derivatives wrt time, so we already know that omega has dimensions of frequency.) If you put that in:

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}-(k_1+k_2)/m_1 & k_2/m_1 \\ k_2/m_2 & -k_2/m_2\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}x_1\\x_2\end{array}\right) =
\left(\begin{array}{cc}\omega^2 & 0 \\ 0 & \omega^2\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c} x_1\\ x_2\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

which is exactly the eigenvalue problem. Solving it will give omega in terms of the k's and m's. Then we go back to our differential equation and look at our trial solution where we assumed [tex]\ddot x_i = \omega^2 x_i[/tex] and solve that, knowing that we have a solution for omega. Of course that will be a harmonic solution; we don't need to know omega for that. But the omegas that we got out of the eigenvalue equation are the ones that go into our trial solution.

The eigenvectors have significance; a matrix made out of the eigenvectors can be used to diagonalize our k/m matrix. So this tells us what kind of x_1 and x_2 displacements give us the harmonic motion. If m1 = m2 and k1 = k2 then the eigenvectors, ignoring normalization, will look something like (1 1) and (1 -1). This tells us that one type of motion is where both masses move the same direction at the same time (1 1) and another type where they move opposite directions at the same time (1 -1). If the parameters are different, it gets more complicated, but my understanding is that it will be true that the ratio of the components of an eigenvector indicate the ratio of the amplitude of the motions of each mass. The eigenvectors could also be complex, which should indicate a phase difference in the motion of the two masses. This probably won't be the case for two masses, but more complicated systems could give this type of result I suppose.

So if i have this right

Assuming an SHM solution for each component, [tex] \omega_i^2 = \lambda_i[/tex]

and the ratios of components in any eigenvector [tex]x_i[/tex] give the ratios of he amplitudes of oscillation while in normal mode [tex]i[/tex]

What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors in MDOF dynamics problems?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts used to solve MDOF (multi-degree of freedom) dynamics problems. Eigenvalues represent the natural frequencies of vibration of a system, while eigenvectors represent the corresponding mode shapes.

How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated in MDOF dynamics problems?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are calculated using the equations of motion for a given system. These equations are then solved using numerical methods, such as matrix diagonalization, to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in MDOF dynamics problems?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they provide information about the behavior of a system under vibration. They can help determine the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and stability of a structure.

How do eigenvalues and eigenvectors affect the response of a structure in MDOF dynamics problems?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a system determine the frequencies and mode shapes of the structure's response. Depending on the values of these parameters, the response of the structure may amplify or dampen, leading to different types of vibrations.

How can eigenvalues and eigenvectors be used to optimize the design of a structure in MDOF dynamics problems?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be used to optimize the design of a structure by identifying critical modes and frequencies that may cause excessive vibrations. By adjusting the design parameters, such as stiffness and mass distribution, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be altered to improve the structural response.