Where Can I Find Translucent Blackboards?

• Thread starter Singularity
  • Start date
In summary: You mean dry erase markers? You can get them at any office supply store.Save some money and just use your window. It's works the same and will look sweet from the streets :biggrin: and it is way cheaper, becasue I can only hope everyone has a window or a few to use. :biggrin:
Singularity
Hey guys, I have been watching some old numbers episodes and I saw they have this really cool translucent blackboard. Anyone know where I can buy one of those?

Computer science news on Phys.org
They're probably just a large pane of glass or plexiglass (before going with plexiglass, I'd make sure that's appropriate for the solvents found in dry erase markers, which is what I assume you plan to use with it, though "wet erase" transparency markers would probably work equally well on a surface like that).

Thanks for the replies. $1000 is a bit much for my pocket. Guess I will have to stick with the regular stuff.

Gotta love Numb3rs...

You can look for some plexiglass on craigslist and make your own.

It won't be as pretty as the 1000 dollar boards, but the functionality will be the same.

I'm thinking about making one myself, just waiting for the right stuff to come up on craigslist. The biggest problem is finding a piece that will fit in my car.

I know when I first saw the show, I thought, "I got to get some chalkboards!"

You can also pick up sheets of acrylic (aka plexiglass) at Home Depot/Lowe's, but I don't know how much it would cost.

Gokul43201 said:
4' X 2' X 3/8" acrylic is about $240 at www.mcmaster.com

I went online and looked, that stuff is expensive.

I found a 4'x8'x1/8" sheet for 50 dollars on craigslist.

At 1/8" it will acrylic not have the flexural rigidity to support 4' X 8' dimensions. That will need an additional frame made of something stronger.

Come to think of it, for any given surface area, glass is going to be way cheaper than acrylic, for the same strength.

For instance, from the same site, 50" X 20" X 1/4" glass sheet is $125.

http://www.acrylic.co.uk/ doesn't look to bad (certainly relatively cheap, although very little is available at large sizes). I'm quite interested in the 0.9x2 m sheet though.

V

Is there something wrong with pen and paper?

Cyrus said:
Is there something wrong with pen and paper?

It's not as cool?

If I'm working on a problem and I'm having trouble with, it can help me to write it out on a board so that it is more isolated, and allows me to stand back and look at it.

Definitely not necessary, but can be nice to have around.

chasely said:
It's not as cool?
If I'm working on a problem and I'm having trouble with, it can help me to write it out on a board so that it is more isolated, and allows me to stand back and look at it.

Definitely not necessary, but can be nice to have around.

yeah okay...

Cyrus said:
yeah okay...

Exactly...

Seems like a huge waste of money to me if it costs more than $50 bucks.

Whiteboards are worth every penny. I think its similar to having 2 or 3 monitors at your computer. It sounds silly and wasteful at first, but after you use it for a while and get used to using the extra space, you would never go back.

Ok...I have decided to do the DIY thing and get some glass and see what I can conjure up. Now on to the next problem : Finding the stationary. I am assuming I can pick these up from a standard stationary outlet. Hopefully one doesn't have to have them specially ordered.

Singularity said:
Ok...I have decided to do the DIY thing and get some glass and see what I can conjure up. Now on to the next problem : Finding the stationary. I am assuming I can pick these up from a standard stationary outlet. Hopefully one doesn't have to have them specially ordered.

You mean dry erase markers? You can get them at any office supply store.

Save some money and just use your window. It's works the same and will look sweet from the streets :biggrin: and it is way cheaper, becasue I can only hope everyone has a window or a few to use. :biggrin:

1. What are translucent blackboards?

Translucent blackboards are a type of writing surface that allows light to pass through, making them appear slightly transparent. They are typically made of a clear or lightly colored material, such as acrylic or glass, with a dark backing that creates a contrast for writing or drawing.

2. How are translucent blackboards different from traditional blackboards?

Traditional blackboards are made of a dark, opaque material that does not allow light to pass through. They are often made of slate or a dark-colored paint on a hard surface. Translucent blackboards, on the other hand, are made of a clear or lightly colored material that allows light to pass through, creating a different writing experience.

3. What are the benefits of using translucent blackboards?

Translucent blackboards offer several benefits, including a unique visual appeal, improved visibility in well-lit rooms, and the ability to use them as a lightbox for tracing or other artistic purposes. They are also easy to clean and do not produce chalk dust like traditional blackboards.

4. Can translucent blackboards be used with regular chalk?

Yes, translucent blackboards can be used with regular chalk, just like traditional blackboards. However, they can also be used with liquid chalk markers or dry-erase markers, which may offer more vibrant colors and easier cleanup. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure that the writing utensils being used are compatible with the specific type of translucent blackboard.

5. How durable are translucent blackboards?

The durability of translucent blackboards depends on the material they are made of. Glass blackboards are generally more durable and scratch-resistant, while acrylic blackboards may be more prone to scratches. However, with proper care and maintenance, translucent blackboards can last for many years.