CE 317 Review QuestionsWhat are the key topics covered in CSCE 317?

• Thread starter Kapelluschsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the individual is a freshman at UWM pursuing a mechanical engineering degree and is required to write a paper on engineering ethics, project management, and time management based on an interview with an engineer. They are seeking help with their questions and have also asked for personal interest about the difficulty of getting a job in the engineering field and the focus of jobs on drafting and CAD. The engineer being interviewed is currently a Senior Staff Engineer in the Oil and Gas Industry and states that communication is extremely important in the field. They obtained a mix of skills from college and experience and use project schedules and task lists to stay organized. Their first job in the engineering field was working as a field service engineer on deep-sea drilling control systems.
Kapelluschsa
Hey everyone. I am a freshman at UWM working my way towards a mechanical engineering degree. For one of my classes I am required to write a two page paper on stuff like engineering ethics, project management, and time management. I have to base this on an interview held with an engineer, so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out with that? I know it isn't the most exciting series of questions (gonna be a challenge to ramble on for two pages about time management) but any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) How much do your fundamental engineering skills learned in college contribute to your profession?

2) Did you obtain most of the necesary skills needed for a career as an engineer along with your degree or did you learn a lot of it from experience in the work world?

3) How do you stay organized and manage your time? Do you use planners or keep some sort of a timeline for yourself?

4) What project management skills are most important to you?

5) Have you faced any ethical dilemas while working as an engineer?

6) What do you currently do for a living?

7) how important is communication in the engineering field?

I just have a few more questions, just out of personal interest. I was wondering how difficult it was to get your first job in the engineering field outside of college? I was looking at some job openings in this field, and most of them wanted engineers with at least 5 years of experience under their belt.

I was also wondering if there are a good amount of jobs in the engineering field that focus more on drafting and CAD? Or do most of them focus on the entire design process? I would be fine working with the entire process but I enjoy the drafting and CAD portions of engineering.

Anyways, this is all i can think of for now, thanks for any help in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kapelluschsa said:
Hey everyone. I am a freshman at UWM working my way towards a mechanical engineering degree. For one of my classes I am required to write a two page paper on stuff like engineering ethics, project management, and time management. I have to base this on an interview held with an engineer, so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out with that? I know it isn't the most exciting series of questions (gonna be a challenge to ramble on for two pages about time management) but any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) How much do your fundamental engineering skills learned in college contribute to your profession?

2) Did you obtain most of the necesary skills needed for a career as an engineer along with your degree or did you learn a lot of it from experience in the work world?

3) How do you stay organized and manage your time? Do you use planners or keep some sort of a timeline for yourself?

4) What project management skills are most important to you?

5) Have you faced any ethical dilemas while working as an engineer?

6) What do you currently do for a living?

7) how important is communication in the engineering field?

I just have a few more questions, just out of personal interest. I was wondering how difficult it was to get your first job in the engineering field outside of college? I was looking at some job openings in this field, and most of them wanted engineers with at least 5 years of experience under their belt.

I was also wondering if there are a good amount of jobs in the engineering field that focus more on drafting and CAD? Or do most of them focus on the entire design process? I would be fine working with the entire process but I enjoy the drafting and CAD portions of engineering.

Anyways, this is all i can think of for now, thanks for any help in advance

1) A significant portion.

2) Probably 50/50.

3) Project schedules, task lists, calendars, etc.

4) Scheduling and time management.

5) No.

6) Senior Staff Engineer in the Oil and Gas Industry.

7) EXTREMELY.

Getting a job as an Engineer right out of college shouldn't be too challenging as long as you realize you'll be starting out near the bottom since you don't have any experience (typically anyway).

I personally do very little drafting (we have drafters and CAD tech's for that stuff). I believe you'll be expected to be familiar with both areas though.

Good luck.

CS

stewartcs said:
1)

Getting a job as an Engineer right out of college shouldn't be too challenging as long as you realize you'll be starting out near the bottom since you don't have any experience (typically anyway).

CS

So if you don't mind me asking, what kind of work did you do when you first entered the engineering field?

Kapelluschsa said:
So if you don't mind me asking, what kind of work did you do when you first entered the engineering field?

My first in engineering was working as a field service engineer on deep-sea drilling control systems.

CS

What are the most common types of interview questions?

The most common types of interview questions include behavioral questions, situational questions, technical questions, and traditional questions. Behavioral questions ask about past experiences and actions, situational questions ask how you would handle a hypothetical situation, technical questions test your knowledge and skills, and traditional questions ask about your qualifications and goals.

What are some tips for answering interview questions?

Some tips for answering interview questions include researching the company and position beforehand, practicing common interview questions, being concise and specific in your answers, showcasing your skills and experience, and asking thoughtful questions about the company and role.

What should I do if I don't know the answer to an interview question?

If you don't know the answer to an interview question, it's important to remain calm and honest. You can ask for clarification or take a moment to think before answering. If you still don't know the answer, you can explain your thought process and how you would go about finding the solution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when answering interview questions?

Common mistakes to avoid when answering interview questions include rambling or giving vague answers, badmouthing previous employers, being overly negative, and not being prepared with specific examples or evidence to support your answers.

How can I best prepare for an interview?

To best prepare for an interview, you should research the company and the position, practice common interview questions, dress professionally, arrive early, bring a copy of your resume and any necessary documents, and be confident, enthusiastic, and engaged during the interview.